Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

The bird has to be pitch black, or they only mate in the pitch black?? I like a little mood lighting, myself.
lau.gif

gig.gif

The bird itself is bred to be pitch black... black feathers, skin, meat, bones and organs... a lot come out with white toe tips, mouths and tongues though... the fibromelanism is hard to breed for full saturation...

My cockerel... he made it into the BYC calendar this year...
big_smile.png
WHOA! He looks like a silhouette! Fascinating bird!

gig.gif

The bird itself is bred to be pitch black... black feathers, skin, meat, bones and organs... a lot come out with white toe tips, mouths and tongues though... the fibromelanism is hard to breed for full saturation...

My cockerel... he made it into the BYC calendar this year...
big_smile.png

Wow! That's some stud!! I wouldn't want to get him in a pitch black room. I'd never find him!!

Last edited:
So I've got these friends, total city slickers, but they're awesome. They came out to my house and they were all confused about how you tell the roosters apart from the hens
th.gif
"Well, um, the boys have big tails, and big combs and wattles, and they crow, and they kick at you sometimes..." and they still didn't get it!
barnie.gif
smile.png

Got a phone call one day from somebody wanting some of my hatching eggs/fertile eggs.

I said "Perfect, how many eggs and what breed would you like?".

They said "Whichever are best with kids!".

I replied with "Well... as long as the kids are gentle and you hand tame them from the time they are young then any (of the breeds I have) would be a good choice."

We ended up agreeing upon 12 eggs, a few from each of the breeds I had at the time.

I later got a text from her, she said "do they need to be kept warm? How many hours will it take for them to hatch?".

I began wondering if I was about to have to teach a bit of hatching 101 for the hundredth time, it would be no biggie if it was.
Before long I had typed out a few basic parameters I keep my eggs at and then asked about the most important step.

I then sent the text which ended with the sentence "Are you using a incubator or a broody hen to hatch these?".

She texted back " What do I need those for? Eggs from a hen hatch after the rooster goes in the nest and fertilizes them. You keep a rooster with your hens... don't you?"

I thought I was being punked or something. I tried explaining to her that "hatching eggs" aren't actively hatching when you buy them, they just simply have the potential to hatch if they were incubated by a broody hen or a incubator.

I could tell that she wasn't believing a bit of what I said... I ended with "here is a link to how chicken eggs become fertilized and another about how incubation works ".

Believe it or not I have come across a few people who thought a rooster stood by the nests and "fertilized" the eggs AFTER they had been layed by the hens. I always reply with "you mean like salmon, goldfish and tilapia?" and they then just look at me like I am the uneducated one LOL.

So I've got these friends, total city slickers, but they're awesome. They came out to my house and they were all confused about how you tell the roosters apart from the hens
th.gif
"Well, um, the boys have big tails, and big combs and wattles, and they crow, and they kick at you sometimes..." and they still didn't get it!
barnie.gif
smile.png

Haha. You need to give them study cards and then quiz them! We should invent a chicken game for people who known nothing about chickens. The fun part is that a experienced chicken owner is the judge, I would totally watch that if it was a thing lol.

Haha. You need to give them study cards and then quiz them! We should invent a chicken game for people who known nothing about chickens. The fun part is that a experienced chicken owner is the judge, I would totally watch that if it was a thing lol.
YAY!!! best idea EVER!!! This kid at my church would love to do that!

Got a phone call one day from somebody wanting some of my hatching eggs/fertile eggs.

I replied with "Well... as long as the kids are gentle and you hand tame them from the time they are young then any (of the breeds I have) would be a good choice."

We ended up agreeing upon 12 eggs, a few from each of the breeds I had at the time.

I later got a text from her, she said "do they need to be kept warm? How many hours will it take for them to hatch?".

I began wondering if I was about to have to teach a bit of hatching 101 for the hundredth time, it would be no biggie if it was.
Before long I had typed out a few basic parameters I keep my eggs at and then asked about the most important step.

I then sent the text which ended with the sentence "Are you using a incubator or a broody hen to hatch these?".

She texted back " What do I need those for? Eggs from a hen hatch after the rooster goes in the nest and fertilizes them. You keep a rooster with your hens... don't you?"

I thought I was being punked or something. I tried explaining to her that "hatching eggs" aren't actively hatching when you buy them, they just simply have the potential to hatch if they were incubated by a broody hen or a incubator.

I could tell that she wasn't believing a bit of what I said... I ended with "here is a link to how chicken eggs become fertilized and another about how incubation works ".

Believe it or not I have come across a few people who thought a rooster stood by the nests and "fertilized" the eggs AFTER they had been layed by the hens. I always reply with "you mean like salmon, goldfish and tilapia?" and they then just look at me like I am the uneducated one LOL.
Wow... Just wow.

So this is a funny one; I don't think this person's stupid.
Lately, we have been dealing with what is likely mareks in our flock. My sister was talking to one of the freshman at church, and told him that she thought it might be mareks. This kid really doesn't know much about chickens, but wednesday night he came and asked me "Do you think the chickens have mavericks?"
wee.gif
He's hooked!

Believe it or not I have come across a few people who thought a rooster stood by the nests and "fertilized" the eggs AFTER they had been layed by the hens. I always reply with "you mean like salmon, goldfish and tilapia?" and they then just look at me like I am the uneducated one LOL

I thought birds externally fertilized as well, which was deduced from my knowledge that they are closely related to reptiles which for some reason made me think they externally fertilized like amphibians (being that reptiles and amphibians fall in the same group of "herps"). I took three years of biology in high school and simply cannot remember covering bird reproduction or dissecting any birds. My main interests for most of my life were four legged livestock and herpetology, so maybe the bird stuff just went in one ear and out the other. Any way I look at it, it doesn't make any sense for me to think that, though, since I did know that, for instance, turtles do not externally fertilize. I think mainly my thoughts of it must have never occurred while I had access to a library or encyclopedia and my childhood and teenage years are pre-Google and 24/7 internet access at the fingertips and it as never of any consequence one way or another.

ETA: Regarding the term "hatching eggs" I think my mail carrier misinterprets that phrase as well when she brings me "live hatching eggs". She thinks they are breaking through the shell at that very moment.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom