Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Actually, flocks of feral chickens are quite successful in temperate climates under proper conditions.

I would NOT recommend it as a practice, obviously; I believe domesticated animals DO deserve competent and loving husbandry. And yes; most domesticated chickens, just like any purely domesticated animal, will die if left to their own devices. Some, however, have been known to slip through, reproduce, and thrive.

Neither would I cull 'rewilded' or feral populations. I believe their success is testament to their will to live and their adaptability: we should honor that, as humans; we're the reason they existed in the first place to have been able to become feral.

Wiki is not my favorite source for info, but I think they do a fine job at this sort of list.

They report thriving populations of feral chickens in at least these chicken-famous locales:

Locations famous for feral chickens

Last edited:
I saw some feral chickens when I went to Hawaii. Very beautiful animals, and not aggressive to people like you see in captive birds. The study of prehistoric life (paleontology) is kind of what I live for, and there are so many similarities between chickens and dinosaurs, it is kind of hilarious that people don't think they are at least related. Anyway, I am not religious, but I want to respect your beliefs, so I will end the argument before it gets out of hand and I end up accidentally offending someone.

RE: ETA: Regarding the term "hatching eggs" I think my mail carrier misinterprets that phrase as well when she brings me "live hatching eggs". She thinks they are breaking through the shell at that very moment. ~~

Totally understandable, as the word "hatching" is a verb, as in, "The eggs are hatching." The term "hatching eggs" is a euphemism used by chicken people to mean "fertilized eggs that are capable of producing a chick", and is actually grammatically incorrect in that usage, as "hatching" is being used as an adjective to describe a fertilized egg instead of a verb. So, don't be too hard on people who assume the term means something else.

Much of today's English usage is grammatically incorrect, but adopted by the general populace, anyway. For example, people now commonly use the proper noun, golf, as a verb, "golfing". There's no such word. It would be like saying, "tennising" or "footballing". The correct verb here is "to play", and the proper noun, the name of the game, is "golf", as in "playing golf".

So, there you have the source of the misunderstanding by the uninitiated - the misuse of language.

I have just been guilty of "nerding" (see: "oh dear it appears I have nerded") and my autocorrect function has just crashed.

The lady called asking to buy some "hatching eggs" after she saw a ad that I had posted. I can't recall the exact title I gave the posting, usually I just list things so that it will show up to your average chicken keeper. I have even labeled mine as "Hatchable eggs" and "Incubator eggs" on some occasions.

I too have definitely been guilty of "nerding" on the internet... shoot; I do it in my face to face conversations.

I will also admit that I have been guilty of being a butcherer of the english language. Am I allowed to blame my homeschool upbringing for that?
gig.gif

You're a good person. I totally agree with you @allosaurusrock .

I am about to make everyone super mad
hide.gif

I thoroughly enjoy the science and discovery of our world, I personally feel that if a someone's religion directly clashes with science then it only builds a lot of distrust between them and sciences in general. Science and religion have always clashed, usually because science tends to oppose many parts of various religions.

Keep in mind that not too long ago all the major astronomers were risking being burned at the stake by the church. They were coming out with information that contradicting or sided against the bible (the most popular religious base in Galileo's time), the catholic church had quite a few of them killed and jailed when they discovered that they were teaching people about the universe. *end rant*

Now. Onto the interesting and fun stuff!

What did T. rex look like? Did it sport scales, colors, feathers or all of the above?

Paleontologists have long debated this. A string of studies in the past decade have pointed to the potential widespread presence of either feathers or fuzz-like proto-feathers in dinosaur species. In 2012, paleontologists found that a T. rex relative, Yutyrannus huali, had filamentous feathers. If a relative had feathers, why not the king of reptiles itself?

“It could be something that has to do with feathers in the skin itself changing the texture and the resistance of skin, which perhaps made it more likely to degrade than ‘typical’ scaly skin,” says Mary Schweitzer, a molecular paleontologist at the North Carolina State University who specializes in the remnants of ancient tissue. Schweitzer speculates that the skin of a mature T. rex, “without the feathers, would probably be kind of like chicken legs. Probably scaly, probably pretty resistant to water and degradation at least while they’re alive.”

Chance of an answer? It’s looking more and more likely that T. rex had feathers, but coloration and skin texture remain unknown, for now.

What did T. rex eggs and babies look like?
As for T. rex babies: Perhaps the young were born with a fluffy feather coat, a common phenomenon in birds, and then lost the majority of their feathers once they reached adulthood. “The bigger you are the harder it is to lose heat,” says Schweitzer. “So, when you’re little, as most critters are when they hatch out, you need insulation or their metabolism would have to be fast enough to maintain body temperature.”
Scientists don’t know if T. rex was totally warm blooded or cold blooded, but they think that the giant’s metabolic rate was probably somewhere in between that of crocodiles and birds. A study published last year in PLOS One suggests that cold blooded energetics could not have fueled dinosaurs’ active lifestyles, and thus they probably didn’t regulate their body temperature exclusively by moving into the sun, as modern lizards and crocodiles are known do. If the PLOS One study is true, it is even more likely that newborns had feathers.
Chance of an answer: The gold standard would be the epic find of a young T. rex inside an egg. No T. rex eggs have ever been discovered, though scientists have stumbled upon eggs from many other dinosaur species. (To you or me, they look like bird eggs.) “We hold out that we can find one,” says Carrano.

All these fun T-Rex and chicken similarities come from the smithsonian site below.
Hope everyone enjoys the read and that none of you become annoyed by it
hugs.gif
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...now-about-tyrannosaurus-rex-180951072/?no-ist

Actually, flocks of feral chickens are quite successful in temperate climates under proper conditions. I would NOT recommend it as a practice, obviously; I believe domesticated animals DO deserve competent and loving husbandry. And yes; most domesticated chickens, just like any purely domesticated animal, will die if left to their own devices. Some, however, have been known to slip through, reproduce, and thrive. Neither would I cull 'rewilded' or feral populations. I believe their success is testament to their will to live and their adaptability: we should honor that, as humans; we're the reason they existed in the first place to have been able to become feral. Wiki is not my favorite source for info, but I think they do a fine job at this sort of list. They report thriving populations of feral chickens in at least these chicken-famous locales:
Locations famous for feral chickens

You can add Yuba City, California to that list. A flock of feral chickens left over from a hatchery that shut down over 50 years ago have been thriving along the highway and in the parking lots of the local grocery store and movie theater. They like to hang out in front of the citys chamber of comerce building because the city has feeders and waterers set out for them. Someone at one point decided they were a trafic hazard (as if a chicken could damage a car?) and demanded the city exterminate then. There were so many people who responded asking that they be left alone that the city declared them "citizens" and a local landmark and they have been left in peace since.

I am about to make everyone super mad
hide.gif

I thoroughly enjoy the science and discovery of our world, I personally feel that if a someone's religion directly clashes with science then it only builds a lot of distrust between them and sciences in general. Science and religion have always clashed, usually because science tends to oppose many parts of various religions.

Keep in mind that not too long ago all the major astronomers were risking being burned at the stake by the church. They were coming out with information that contradicting or sided against the bible (the most popular religious base in Galileo's time), the catholic church had quite a few of them killed and jailed when they discovered that they were teaching people about the universe. *end rant*

Now. Onto the interesting and fun stuff!

What did T. rex look like? Did it sport scales, colors, feathers or all of the above?

Paleontologists have long debated this. A string of studies in the past decade have pointed to the potential widespread presence of either feathers or fuzz-like proto-feathers in dinosaur species. In 2012, paleontologists found that a T. rex relative, Yutyrannus huali, had filamentous feathers. If a relative had feathers, why not the king of reptiles itself?

“It could be something that has to do with feathers in the skin itself changing the texture and the resistance of skin, which perhaps made it more likely to degrade than ‘typical’ scaly skin,” says Mary Schweitzer, a molecular paleontologist at the North Carolina State University who specializes in the remnants of ancient tissue. Schweitzer speculates that the skin of a mature T. rex, “without the feathers, would probably be kind of like chicken legs. Probably scaly, probably pretty resistant to water and degradation at least while they’re alive.”

Chance of an answer? It’s looking more and more likely that T. rex had feathers, but coloration and skin texture remain unknown, for now.

What did T. rex eggs and babies look like?
As for T. rex babies: Perhaps the young were born with a fluffy feather coat, a common phenomenon in birds, and then lost the majority of their feathers once they reached adulthood. “The bigger you are the harder it is to lose heat,” says Schweitzer. “So, when you’re little, as most critters are when they hatch out, you need insulation or their metabolism would have to be fast enough to maintain body temperature.”
Scientists don’t know if T. rex was totally warm blooded or cold blooded, but they think that the giant’s metabolic rate was probably somewhere in between that of crocodiles and birds. A study published last year in PLOS One suggests that cold blooded energetics could not have fueled dinosaurs’ active lifestyles, and thus they probably didn’t regulate their body temperature exclusively by moving into the sun, as modern lizards and crocodiles are known do. If the PLOS One study is true, it is even more likely that newborns had feathers.
Chance of an answer: The gold standard would be the epic find of a young T. rex inside an egg. No T. rex eggs have ever been discovered, though scientists have stumbled upon eggs from many other dinosaur species. (To you or me, they look like bird eggs.) “We hold out that we can find one,” says Carrano.

All these fun T-Rex and chicken similarities come from the smithsonian site below.
Hope everyone enjoys the read and that none of you become annoyed by it
hugs.gif
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...now-about-tyrannosaurus-rex-180951072/?no-ist

Totally agree. I loved my Bio teacher and the way he taught evolution. It doesn't have to clash with religion, in many cases it can go hand in hand with it. I find it fascinating how similar chickens seem to be to dinosaurs. I call my girls velociraptors when they take off running for something.

You can add Yuba City, California to that list. A flock of feral chickens left over from a hatchery that shut down over 50 years ago have been thriving along the highway and in the parking lots of the local grocery store and movie theater. They like to hang out in front of the citys chamber of comerce building because the city has feeders and waterers set out for them. Someone at one point decided they were a trafic hazard (as if a chicken could damage a car?) and demanded the city exterminate then. There were so many people who responded asking that they be left alone that the city declared them "citizens" and a local landmark and they have been left in peace since.

OH, that's wonderful! Citizens! I wonder if they vote?

Ha! No they dont vote but they are local celebrities. Most people really enjoy them and some even donate food to fill the feeders. Its funny going to the grocery store early in the morning and haveing 20 or 30 roosters competing for best crow

Back
Top Bottom