Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

I wish I could share more of these. I live out on the prairie, so not many people are uneducated in chicken keeping
roll.png

I wish I could share more of these. I live out on the prairie, so not many people are uneducated in chicken keeping :rolleyes:

Surely, your neighbors have relatives that aren't living out there, too? Talk to them and see if you can start swapping stories.

I was talking to a lady at work, yesterday, who also has chikens and was raving about the wonderful, fresh eggs. She grew up here, but her brother moved to the city to become an airline pilot. She said he won't eat her fresh eggs because, "There's just something about them being so fresh" that bothers him. He prefers the old ones at the grocery store. So, she just lets him think that's what he's getting when he visits.

Yup. Living in the city is bad for your mental health.

Surely, your neighbors have relatives that aren't living out there, too? Talk to them and see if you can start swapping stories.

I was talking to a lady at work, yesterday, who also has chikens and was raving about the wonderful, fresh eggs. She grew up here, but her brother moved to the city to become an airline pilot. She said he won't eat her fresh eggs because, "There's just something about them being so fresh" that bothers him. He prefers the old ones at the grocery store. So, she just lets him think that's what he's getting when he visits.

Yup. Living in the city is bad for your mental health.
I agree 100%. Prairie is FLAT. If you have 10 mile visibility, you can see 10 miles! But in the city, you're lucky if you can see ten feet
roll.png

Although, Iam ALWAYS forgeting what Mom asked me to get five seconds ago soooo.... My friend says, "you saw a chicken and got distracted" and it's pretty much true
tongue.png

One day there was a person selling chicks, another person said they were interested in getting 5.
I said "These are Unsexed chicks. If you're planning for 4-5 pullets I would recommend buying a few more so your odds are better." (I was trying to be helpful in a way that would benefit both parties) . The following conversation happened between the seller and the person buying.

Person "Oh.. that's fine, we don't mind if we have roosters".

Seller "That's perfect, are these your first chicks to raise?"

Person "No. We ordered a group through the mail last year."

Seller "How many chickens did you end up with from the hatchery?"

Person "17 and we're only getting 6-7 eggs a day from them. That is why we are getting more chicks."

Me "How many roosters do you have? Sometime too many boys can stress the ladies out." (again trying to be helpful)

Person "11. I don't know what's wrong though, we haven't seen any of the roosters ever lay an egg!"

They were totally serious. I had to leave the conversation, it was just cracking me too much haha.

One day there was a person selling chicks, another person said they were interested in getting 5.
I said "These are Unsexed chicks. If you're planning for 4-5 pullets I would recommend buying a few more so your odds are better." (I was trying to be helpful in a way that would benefit both parties) .  The following conversation happened between the seller and the person buying.

Person "Oh.. that's fine, we don't mind if we have roosters". 

Seller "That's perfect, are these your first chicks to raise?"

Person "No. We ordered a group through the mail last year."

Seller "How many chickens did you end up with from the hatchery?"

Person "17 and we're only getting 6-7 eggs a day from them. That is why we are getting more chicks."

Me "How many roosters do you have? Sometime too many boys can stress the ladies out." (again trying to be helpful)

Person "11. I don't know what's wrong though, we haven't seen any of the roosters ever lay an egg!"

They were totally serious. I had to leave the conversation, it was just cracking me too much haha.

Hahahah omg!!!

That is too good. One of my peers recently learned about male chicks being ground up in hatcheries. He was going on and on about it, and was devastated. I felt so bad for the guy! Either way, it was still pretty funny hearing him exclaim, "Do you know what they DO!? They GRIND THEM UP! They are gone like THAT!?"

Welcome to the real world buddy.

That is too good. One of my peers recently learned about male chicks being ground up in hatcheries. He was going on and on about it, and was devastated. I felt so bad for the guy! Either way, it was still pretty funny hearing him exclaim, "Do you know what they DO!? They GRIND THEM UP! They are gone like THAT!?" 

Welcome to the real world buddy. 

That's not really dumb though cause a lot of people are upset by it and I can see why, it is pretty sad/gross. And I admit I used to think it was really cruel and horrible and stuff too and still semi do, idk, but then when I heard people, on here i think actually, saying it actually is humane and takes like a millisecond/they die instantaneously and it's the most humane way, i realized they were right/sorta changed my view, mostly just realized most people don't know. But that said, it still is sad and I don't like how they have to chuck them into the grinder, they could place them in more gently or at least act like they care. And I don't see why they even have to grind up male chicks anyway. I guess they maybe use it in lower end pet food but still. They should try to find homes or at least use them for the meat industry?

I say that giving back to the earth is the best thing we can do for Mother Nature. I wish I lived in an environment that would allow me the same privilege. Your earth worms must be very happy.

Back
Top Bottom