Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Regardless of storage method, I don't expect I'll need my eggs to stay good for months any time soon. They go to friends, neighbors, the dogs or the chickens if I have more than two cartons on the counter.

I live 5 hours from my parents. So I save eggs for a couple weeks and take a lot down to them. We don't get down that often.

We eat eggs within a couple days between us and the dogs

The lady behind the counter at the post office just asked me today if any of the eggs being shipped to me have ever hatched inside the box during shipping...

Our very first chickens were hatched from eggs we ordered. When the post guy brought them, he beeped at the gate for me because there was a sticker on the box that said something like, 'Fragile. Live animals' on it. He was so excited like a little kid & asked what was inside the box. I said they were chicken eggs. His eyes bulged out & he goes, "Really? Can I see them?" Funny thing is that this guy probably looks at chicken eggs everyday in his fridge... I'm not really sure why he thought mine would look different, but it caught me off guard, so I carefully opened the box while he stood there chomping at the bit to see inside. I pulled out one bubble wrapped egg & showed him the others in the box. He looked amazed, got a big smile on his face & said, "WOW! That's so cool!!!" I admit, I personally was pretty excited to get them, but I've never understood why he was. :lau

I'm sure it's already been said on this thread, but let's revive some oldies but goodies:
1. "You really should bleach your eggs so they will look white like grocery store eggs. I think more people would buy them then."
2. "The reason your eggs are brown and green is because they're organic, right?"
3. "What color eggs does that rooster lay?"
4. "If I buy that rooster from you (blue green egg genetic), then my hens will start laying blue eggs, right?"

I think, more than anything, when I get comments like these, it reminds me that folks are too many steps removed from the source of their food - and so we explain... and explain again... (and giggle a little bit in the process!) :)

Back
Top Bottom