Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
That goes along with when folks try to say that their chickens have been fed an "all natural, vegetarian" diet. Ummm....there is nothing natural about a vegetarian diet for chickens. That would mean that they are cooped up all day long as far as I am concerned. Bugs are not part of a vegetarian diet. I've seen my chickens eat a toad that kept hopping back into their tractor. Geesh!

th.gif

My vegetarian friend is convinced only to eat vegetarian diet eggs. I have no idea why, she won't even eat her own chicken's eggs!

I remember watching my 3 Light Brahma Bantams tearing apart a rat. The worst part was, until they set him down and started scratching he was still alive.
sickbyc.gif

I wrote an essay in my 8th grade English class about all the hype on egg cartons. My teacher, a chicken lover, loved it.

some people are just plain stupid..

MOST, however, like the idea that I raise my own chickens and have my own fresh eggs.

Wasnt too long ago, that was what people did in general... now, we have been conditioned to think having our own animals is unsanitary.

What with the way these poor animals is raising in these box farms, it is THEY who are unsanitary.... my chickens dont live on/in thier own poop all day, my chickens run and dig and play.

So I dont say anything....I just walk away thinking, "fine, eat your "clean" eggs..." lol

I gave my aunt some eggs once and she said,

Aunt: "So, these will go bad in like 3 days right?"
Me: "No..."
Aunt: So, like in a week?
Me: No, and actually I don't wash them and just keep their boxes clean, so that the bloom stays on and they last longer.
Aunt: So, like 10 days?
Me: *getting mad now!* NO, think about it like this: the eggs you buy in the store have been there for months. These eggs are still warm! You watched me go out and collect them! They will not go bad before you use them, trust me. I wouldn't keep them for more than a month, but even then, they are probably fine! I'm giving you a 100% discount on these eggs, can you just take them and leave!?!

Jeez, my family drives me crazy....

Wasnt too long ago, that was what people did in general... now, we have been conditioned to think having our own animals is unsanitary.

That's because corporations found profit in our dependence on them, so they've spent billions on ads promoting that dependence. They called it healthy and convenient living.

Reminds me of the recent ad on TV of a "daddy" in a corn field with his little girl saying HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) was no different than any other kind of sugar; "Sugar is sugar". Therefore, it was safe to feed to his child. I wonder if the actors and film crew got out of the corn field before the crop duster flew over to kill the weeds growing among their Round-Up Ready corn plants?

"No fresh eggs for them!"

Last edited:
We live right next to a corn field and the guy that works it is, luckily, very good about not running over chickens with his machinery. When they were getting ready to plant he told me to keep the chickens inside because eating the kernel would kill them. Of course, the chickens went out and tried to eat the kernels (did not kill them) and as I was shooing them away I noticed that the kernels were not yellow like I expected. They were hot pink.
sickbyc.gif
I'm never eating store bought corn again. This isn't the stuff the feed us either, this is the corn that goes to feed lots and in chicken food. Another reason I want to grow my own chicken feed.

We live right next to a corn field and the guy that works it is, luckily, very good about not running over chickens with his machinery. When they were getting ready to plant he told me to keep the chickens inside because eating the kernel would kill them. Of course, the chickens went out and tried to eat the kernels (did not kill them) and as I was shooing them away I noticed that the kernels were not yellow like I expected. They were hot pink.
sickbyc.gif
I'm never eating store bought corn again. This isn't the stuff the feed us either, this is the corn that goes to feed lots and in chicken food. Another reason I want to grow my own chicken feed.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand the pink is the pesticide that then gets into the corn so they don't have to keep treating it with sprays and stuff. The bugs eat the corn, then die. Scary! I know I've heard it talked about before, but I don't know 100% for sure it was the corn they were referring to or if that was just my brain making those connections after seeing the pink stuff you mentioned.

Can you even buy corn to plant without it? It seems like that's all our feed store carries, but it might just be b/c that's what's in the big plastic bulk bags. The smaller paper ones might have more options?

I think since the paper ones are for small scale operations they would be safer. I do appreciate that they aren't repeatedly spraying, but it scared me that that was how much pesticide is put on them. I picked up a kernel and tried to scrape off some of the stuff, just to see. It was really thick on there, and it worries me that even corn kernels are that processed.

Ooh, that Round up Ready corn is scary stuff! It actually produces it's own pesticide, and that pesticide has been found in the animals that eat it, and in the urine of pregnant women. Corn is one of the big nasties that is significantly different when bought organic. Conventionally grown it is commonly genetically modified, and sprayed with a lot of pesticide/herbicide.

Luckily it didn't kill any of the chickens that ate it, but I was scared for a while. I really want to start making my own chicken feed, if you have any info here's a thread I started: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/690074/growing-your-chickens-own-feed

The pesticide must work because I've never seen any bugs over there!
sickbyc.gif

I really want to at least replace the scratch I am buying with my own grains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom