Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you, I will give this a try! unfortunalty for me a lot of the things I have mentioned are questions I wish I would have asked when I could. grandpa made great head cheese, pickled pigs feet, and smoked items. dad was good at smoking, but I never asked for recipes. of course on both of their sage sausages they never measured anything. I do remember them spreading the meat out and covering it with sage an pepper until you could just see the sausage.

my wife has a cookbook that has been handed down for generations. something like searchlight cookbook, it has been well used and added to. it has instructions and temperatures on smoking with a smokehouse, and a lot of homeopathic remedies. some things are long outdated but its interesting to read. o0 did I just admit to being a guy who reads cookbooks?

At one time I had 80 cookbooks. I still have more than I care to count, plus a binder I put together of recipes I downloaded. I also have a handwritten cookbook by a great aunt.

It may not have helped you a whole lot if you had asked for recipes. A lot of people of previous generations never used them. My grandmother made wonderful apple butter. I asked her for the recipe. Here it is verbatim. "Peel the apples and cut them up. Put them in a pot. Add sugar and spices as you like it and cook it 'til it's done."

My wife still cooks like that. She's from Korea so she makes kimchi and bulgogi from scratch. Several of our friends and relatives have begged for her recipes, but she just does it by why she knows will taste good. That's how she learned it from her mom.

there is a scene in the move "Waiting" that the rude customers should see. you know "first we add more gravy, then some garlic salt". or maybe the movie "Road Trip" with the French toast scene. because of that movie I will no longer eat French toast that I haven't seen cooked.

Oh my gosh! I just went to youtube and watched that scene to see what you were talking about. Gross!

My bread is never measured. I have tons of family asking for my recipes and i try to give them but unless you are standing there with me you don't understand it. So many variables in making bread that a set recipe didn't always yield the same results.
Okay this made me laugh because if I use a recipe I somehow manage to screw nearly everything up. If I just throw things in until they "look" right everything turns out pretty well. It's just an odd thing that I've told my mother I blame her for lol.

Here are the recipes:

Angel Food Cake III

Submitted by: Kristin Pan
Rated: 4 out of 5 by 166 members

Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes

Ready In: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Yields: 14 servings
"Classic angel food cake, light and tastes great by itself!"
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup cake flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar
12 egg whites

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Be sure that your 10 inch tube pan is clean and dry. Any amount of oil or residue could deflate the egg whites. Sift together the flour, and 3/4 cup of the sugar, set aside.

In a large bowl, whip the egg whites along with the vanilla, cream of tartar and salt, to medium stiff peaks. Gradually add the remaining sugar while continuing to whip to stiff peaks. When the egg white mixture has reached its maximum volume, fold in the sifted ingredients gradually, one third at a time. Do not over mix. Put the batter into the tube pan.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake springs back when touched. Balance the tube pan upside down on the top of a bottle, to prevent decompression while cooling. When cool, run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert onto a plate.

The Ultimate Brownie

By Carroll Pellegrinelli, About.com Guide
Carroll Pellegrinelli
The Ultimate Brownie is my absolute favorite brownie. It is tall like a cakey-brownie, but is dense like a fudgy-brownie. I'm sure it will be one of your favorite brownie recipes too.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients:

• 8- 1 ounce squares of unsweetened chocolate
  • 1 cup butter
  • 5 eggs
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 1-1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 pan. Melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat or heat chocolate and butter at high power in non-metal bowl in microwave for 2 ½ minutes, stirring after 1 minute, then stir until melted and smooth.); set aside. In a mixer, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla at high speed for 10 minutes**. Blend in chocolate mixture, flour and salt until just mixed. Stir in the nuts. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake for 35-40 minutes. (Don't over bake.) Cool and frost if desired, but that is not necessary.
Convection Oven: 325 for 30 Min.
** It's not required, but this is when it's very nice to own a stand mixer.
This is one of the best brownie recipes.

Have fun!
Just saving this, thanks Ron!

All those posts about "store eggs being better" that so many of us shook our heads over the crazy things people have said about our eggs.
I just talked to a commercial farmer who informed me that all of the "odd shaped eggs" or very thin shell eggs that would not be good enough to go on store shelves go into making Egg Beaters! I thought they used top quality eggs for those. I guess not!
It was fun hearing the farmers info. It makes me glad that we grow our own food ;-)

All those posts about "store eggs being better" that so many of us shook our heads over the crazy things people have said about our eggs.
I just talked to a commercial farmer who informed me that all of the "odd shaped eggs" or very thin shell eggs that would not be good enough to go on store shelves go into making Egg Beaters! I thought they used top quality eggs for those. I guess not!
It was fun hearing the farmers info. It makes me glad that we grow our own food ;-)

Don't buy the shucked and bagged corn at a farm stand or grocery store if you want fresh corn. Its the older stuff that doesn't look pretty enough anymore. Not that it isn't fine. I take home the stuff that's too old to sell for my family all the time and its still good. But its not fresh like the stuff that's still green and pretty.

Same for the pre-shelled butterbeans -- they're the ugly, spotty, half-dried out one that you wouldn't buy unshelled. Again, nothing wrong with them, but not fresh from the field either.

Really, if you think about it, do you really expect farmers to throw them away?
big_smile.png

I just can't help but shake my head at what some people think.
I remember another post on here that a BYC member took her eggs to a farmers market, and some people wouldn't buy them because they were'nt "fresh" (layed that morning).
Yet people buy eggs from the store that are likely a few weeks old!
I absolutely hate throwing anything away. Especially food! We eat food past the expiration date all the time, and have not been sick yet. For example, the date on milk is the "sell by" date and not the "use by" we also will freeze it if its looking like we can't use it all before it will go bad.
Many non food items can be used as something else too after its intended use is over. Wood crates and 5 gallon buckets quickly come to mind ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom