Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question:

My girls were moulting and, consequently, cut back on egg production. Moulting completed, they started laying again .... for about 3 weeks. Now, in the last week, I'm lucky if I've gotten 3 eggs, and have gotten ZERO, nada, zip, zilch over the past 4 days.

Anyone know what's up with that?

Cold there? Mine cut down to almost NOTHING.... and I have 30 of them that are of laying age. But we haven't been above zero in two weeks.

Question:

My girls were moulting and, consequently, cut back on egg production. Moulting completed, they started laying again .... for about 3 weeks. Now, in the last week, I'm lucky if I've gotten 3 eggs, and have gotten ZERO, nada, zip, zilch over the past 4 days.

Anyone know what's up with that?
Daylight hours, length of, determines egg laying in the hen. I keep track of daily egg counts, molting hens, etc.....and see egg production drop when the days are shorter. Almost no eggs on those cold, short, overcast winter days. However, my 4 new pullets are just at POL, and have been happily popping out nice new pullet eggs!
wee.gif

7Biddies....I am not to far distance from you either. 40 miles west of Columbia SC here. So we have similar weather patterns.

Cold there? Mine cut down to almost NOTHING.... and I have 30 of them that are of laying age. But we haven't been above zero in two weeks.

I'm in the Blue Ridge Mountains and it got down to about 10 - 15 below at my house. I even left the heat lamp on in the hen house for them, and they stayed inside for a day or 2. I definitely considered the cold/daylight factors as a cause of the problem. Seems I'm on the right track. Just wondering.

Thanks. 7

My Dad has transported his chickens in a gunny sack for his entire life. He gave me 6 hens, and all he gave me were 3 gunny sacks. He told me that there is less danger of them hurting them selves in a cloth bag on a smooth surface than there is in a crate, cage, or kennel where they can stick a leg through. Though I was doubtful, I believed his wisdom and let them be as he gave them to me. The hens laid peacefully in the front of his pick-up for a 50 mile drive from his house to mine. It was the quietest ride I have ever had transporting chickens.

Well that's something I'm going to remember for the future!

I brought in some white eggs into a cooking lesson at school from my hens and was asked "is that actually a real egg?!!" by some people in my class

I brought in some white eggs into a cooking lesson at school from my hens and was asked "is that actually a real egg?!!" by some people in my class

Do you have Blue eggs over there sold in stores? Commercial Cream Legbars?

I wonder how those do with the locals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom