Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I recall, didn't Jamie Oliver's series get a rather cool reception (if not cancellation) because it made Americans look stupid? The masses couldn't take some foreigner coming in and telling them how to run things. Kind of one of those "Shoot the messenger" scenarios....

As I recall, didn't Jamie Oliver's series get a rather cool reception (if not cancellation) because it made Americans look stupid? The masses couldn't take some foreigner coming in and telling them how to run things. Kind of one of those "Shoot the messenger" scenarios....

ummm ... I think it's more like "No good deed goes unpunished".

People are such idiots. Americans made themselves look stupid ... Jamie Oliver just had the audacity to call them on their stupidity. Better to let them die by their own hands than to <gasp> suggest that they might be able to improve their own lot with a few behavior changes. What if he had been American ... would that have softened the ego blow? That woman in the school cafeteria, Alice, strikes me as the kind who would support such hostility. Kinda like the dips who are making bomb threats against the clinic where Joan Rivers went for her procedure.

I say, let nature take it's course. If they'd rather die prematurely and shorten their children's lives than be corrected, so be it.

I was teaching a travel agent class for "adults" at one time, and was describing various types of itineraries; one-way, round trip, circle trip, and open jaw. An open jaw is one where you fly out of city 1, going to city 2, and return to city 3 (e.g., ATL, LAX. JFK). I asked the students to give me examples of open jaws without a map - just using generalizations on the board like a major city in the east to one in the west, and so on. I got nothing in return except .... well ... open jaws . One young lady finally said, "But, what if you don't know where the major cities are?" I suggested she try another career. When I was the supervisor of a group of corporate travel managers, one of my travel "experts" asked me if London was a country. What they teach in geography these days, indeed!
Most geography thought today, in my country anyway, is physical and social geography. Things like how a waterfall or a volcano is formed, weather and climate and migration/settlement patterns. To be honest there is very little need to know where everything is anymore, with google and such. But I would agree, the people you are talking about should have known better and I would hope are extreme examples.

Last edited:
Most geography thought today, in my country anyway, is physical and social geography. Things like how a waterfall or a volcano is formed, weather and climate and migration/settlement patterns. To be honest there is very little need to know where everything is anymore, with google and such. But I would agree, the people you are talking about should have known better and I would hope are extreme examples.

Maybe so, but I think people should have at least a grasp of where things are on a map. We live on this planet, shouldn't we have a passing familiarity with it? Sure, knowing where Kwajalein is might be a bit extreme (almost any Air Force brat is familiar with it's location in the Marshall Islands of the S. Pacific), but shouldn't one know that San Francisco is on the Pacific coast of the US, or that London is a *city* in the southeastern region of England? Or that Ireland is a separate island directly to the west of England? Most of the kids I work with think Africa is a country for heaven's sake!!!!! The future of the intelligent conversation is doomed.

Where in Ireland are you? I still have family in Westport, County Mayo (west coast of Ireland, centralish, near Gallway. See? I know even though I haven't been.)

Last edited:
Have you heard about the brand new chicken farmer? He went to the feed store and bought 5,000 chicks. Two days later he came back and bought 5,000 more. Two days after that he went back to the feed store to get more chicks. The clerk was surprised to see him again. The clerk says "You must have a big farm to want so many chickens". The newbie farmer replied "All the ones I bought a few days ago died. I'm not sure if I am planting them too deep or too far apart.":rolleyes:

Have you heard about the brand new chicken farmer? He went to the feed store and bought 5,000 chicks. Two days later he came back and bought 5,000 more. Two days after that he went back to the feed store to get more chicks. The clerk was surprised to see him again. The clerk says "You must have a big farm to want so many chickens". The newbie farmer replied "All the ones I bought a few days ago died. I'm not sure if I am planting them too deep or too far apart.":rolleyes:

Rnflol

I had written a column about food and nutrition shortly after a report came out of a lunchroom "monitor" in an elementary school taking a cupcake away from a 1st grader...a homebaked cupcake packed in his lunch sack by his mom, mind you. Now I'd rather my grandkids ate something made with love out a home kitchen than see them tear open a cellophane wrapped gluten-free, egg-free, fat-free, sugar-free, love-free cookie that was made in a factory weeks before. But I guess that's just me. And yes, I know that some kids have allergies or other limitations requiring foods be without certain ingredients, but hello? doesn't Mom already know what safe for that little guy or girl to eat so isn't she sending those safe foods already? Why do the food police have to interfere in a choice a mom makes for her child?

As far as the fast food industry, I was a fast food glutton...loved it! Still do and if I could I'd still be at it! And out here if you want a MacDonald's or a Taco Bell, you'd better not have anything planned for the afternoon - the nearest fast food joint is 25 miles, one way. However, when I had my gallbladder out, suddenly fast food was not real comfortable to eat. But I'd be lying if I said I quit totally. My hubby has a medical condition called "sarcoidosis". He has it in his lungs, liver, spleen, parotid glands, eyelids, and joints. The liver nodules finally contributed to acute pancreatitis, so his diet changed radically. That was the final nail in the fast food coffin. We got rid of the junk food and prepared to re-do our lifestyle. Guess what I found out? In most cases it's cheaper to take a family of 4 to MacDonald's for supper than it is to feed them the healthy stuff at home. Yep, that's a fact. I was totally STUNNED at how much the contents of that shopping cart cost me, full of fresh and frozen fruits and veggies (no canned), lean meats, cracked wheat bread, and other such stuff. No sweets, no chips, no white bread, no prepared or prepackaged foods. And that was just for the two of us for one week's meals.

It's a plain fact that many people do not have the space, the time, or the ability to make a garden and grown their own. Not everyone has a nice backyard where they can carve out a plot for veggies. For apartment or condo dwellers, or even some in suburbia with HOAs (not all HOAs but the really restrictive ones) they couldn't grow a garden if they wanted to. Oh, they can toss a few tomatoes in planter on the balcony or even some cukes and a little lettuce in a postage size plot outside the kitchen door - that type of thing - but a full blown garden from which they can eat fresh, can or freeze is just not an option. And that goes double for many communities banning backyard poultry, rabbits, or anything else. So those folks either rely on the brief time the Farmer's Markets are open or have to hit the supermarket. And that's when it becomes more costly to eat right than to eat fast.

Now given the current economy, where in some families both parents work or in single parent households where the adult has to work, too many folks are barely able to make ends meet as it is. After working a multi hour shift, and with there still not being enough money for all of the expenses, not to mention so little time at home, what is the logical outcome? Spend $50.00 at the grocery store for the "good stuff" for a meal or spend $50.00 at a fast food joint to feed the family for a few nights? Many people opt for the faster, cheaper meal, then they're criticized for it. And while they're slapped around for "killing" their families, the prices of stuff they should be eating keeps climbing and climbing. There is no excuse for what this video showss but in fairness most kids DO know a tomato when they see it. To make the kids look stupid while throwing so many roadblocks in the path of home production and making it impossible for them to learn to grow their own healthy stuff, is asinine.

In a perfect world everyone would have a garden and know how to preserve food. We'd all be able to buy or raise a steer to fill the freezer and have a few chickens in our backyards for meat and eggs. I'd certainly wish that for my kids and my grandkids. But unfortunately we don't live in that kind of world and most of us have to work with what we have, accepting limits and choices that aren't always the best ones. Where I live most people are still raising their own, meat, eggs and produce right in town. But we are the exception, not the rule. I feel good that I can share some of the meat we hunt and the eggs that our chickens provide with my kids and grandkids. It's not a full healthy diet but it's better than nothing. I know many of you won't agree with me, and that's okay. Those of us who do grow our own foods are fortunate to be able to do so, but we need to remember that the system has made it easier to eat garbage than good food.

Okay, off my soapbox. And what the he// this has to do with this thread I simply don't know!
hide.gif
The video made me do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom