Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
thumbsup.gif
It's those little side streets that can be the most fun!

So, why did the chicken cross the road? To see what interesting little bugs could be had on those little side streets? In the case of my chickens, they crossed the road for the same reason that my cat crossed the road: to visit with the neighbor across the road. for some reason, they all love him!

Does anybody else think the Northeast USA is being a bit ridiculous with their coverage of this snow storm they're supposed to be getting?? They get walloped every year and you would think they would be ready to deal with it. Them cityslickers really need to grow a pair.

Does anybody else think the Northeast USA is being a bit ridiculous with their coverage of this snow storm they're supposed to be getting??  They get walloped every year and you would think they would be ready to deal with it.  Them cityslickers really need to grow a pair.  

I don't think it's so fantastic that it has to be named. The kids are loving all the snow though (and the snow days lol). I think it's absolutely beautiful out. There are a lot of people who can't stand it at all and they do need to "grow a pair" as you put it. Heck, my husband is driving his prius to and from work, 20 miles down our mountain and over another lol. Maybe they're covering it so much because we weren't really getting anything until now. We were outside playing on my daughter's birthday! (December 28th) lol

My cousins in New York mock us 'dumb redneck Southerners' and wonder why we would live where there are tornadoes. HaHaHa. We have tornadoes every 5 years or so, but they have snow every single year! They say they love it, but watching the news I don't believe that at all!

Having lived in Minnesota most my life with the exception of a 12 years I lived in Florida on the gulf coast I have been through both.

Hurricanes are scary, nasty weather, If the rain does not drown you, the wind will rip your house down, and if neither of those happen the storm surge will pull you out into the ocean.

Snowstorms and blizzards are more relaxing, if you are in a nice warm place. I find it therapeutic to remove snow after a blizzard.

Both will kill you if you do something dumb, To me a hurricane is more like a tornado, scary and frightening and does a ton of damage. snow will melt in 6 months or so. Trees ripped out by the roots and thrown around like pick-up sticks take decades to reappear.

You never hear of people having to evacuate an area to avoid a blizzard.

I will take a snowstorm over a hurricane any day.

That said the 24 hour news cycle we have become accustomed to causes us much grief. When I was a kid we had snow days only when we really had snow. If there was a forecast of snow we went to snow until it actually appeared. Now we have become so worried and careful we have snow days before the snow even starts. We even have "cold" days up here, that was unheard of when I was a kid, and that was before global warming heated us up.

When the news outlets need to make a big deal out of everything you make a blizzard out of every little snow fall. Case in point, New York City, they made lots of noise yesterday and today we find they got a measly 6 inches.

BTW back to the bees, I readily admit I was wrong on bees harvesting corn pollen, I am guessing I never saw it because we always had more desirable crops near the corn clover, sunflowers , grains and beans which were loaded with bees.

That does not change my position on the "pink" stuff on the seeds killing the bees off.

I am sorry for that mistake, I am not experienced in apologizing for my errors as I make so few, it has not happened in 30 years, I am sorry.

Last edited:
Quote: Ditto! I hate tornadoes. Horrible swirling winds of death, I can only imagine a hurricane. I am lucky though because my town is in like a hole like structure pretty much, so tornadoes are very rare here even if we are in tornado alley.

I can attest to the fact that the pink stuff on corn and other varieties of seed is not poison...... One of my daughters licked the 'pink' off of nearly 2 cups of lima bean seeds, while we were working in yhe garden one day. The poison control center confirmed that the pink stuff is fungicide . . . .

Snow storms in the north are a given. Yes. But, aside from the hype of the fact that the roads will be messed up for several days, there are other issues: A lot of folks will be missing work because of the storm. Of those folks, the hardest hit will be the ones who can least afford it: the ones who are working at jobs with minimal or non existent benefits. They don't have the option of using a vacation day, because there are no vacation days. Then there's the snow removal. Every time the snow plow comes and clears out a driveway, the home owner needs to dig deep to pay for that. In a storm of this magnitude, I expect that we will need to pay for 3 plowings. You may say... well, use a snow blower... going back to the folks who are hardest hit by a heavy storm, they don't have the luxury of running out to buy a snow blower. They are already living on a sub-standard income. So, of course, there's always a shovel. Those don't cost much money... but a storm that dumps 18 - 24" dumps TONS of snow in the average driveway. And that snow doesn't just sit there, like the pretty little post card picture. It blows, and drifts, and blows and drifts some more. Then the road snow plow comes by and socks in the end of the driveway with heavy packed snow. Now, lets look at electricity: This storm is blowing from all directions, coming in swirls. The tree trunks are plastered from multiple directions. High winds + heavy snow = power outages. We often loose power for 3 days at a time. And have lost it for as long as 13 days in a row. Loss of power in rural areas = NO WATER. But, we're blessed. We have wood heat available. We have a generator. We are young enough that we can do some of our snow removal. There are thousands of folks who have medical conditions that make it impossible for them to do their own snow removal. They can't do the labor that is required on the business end of a shovel. They can't afford a snow blower, and can't afford to pay for a snow plow. They have electric heat... or even oil heat which requires electricity to fire the furnace. They can not afford a generator. They go without water, transportation, and heat during a storm with heavy snow and power loss. So, yes... we can grow a pair. But where is the compassion for our neighbors who will be truly incapacitated by this storm???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom