1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dummy Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by anbhean, Jul 30, 2010.

1. anbhean

anbhean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2010
    Colorado
    Where does one find the fake eggs people use to teach their layers to lay in the nestboxes and not their food dish, the dog's house or the compost bin? I looked on eBay and only came up with real eggs for hatching.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    ebay has the ceramic eggs too...

BUt you can find wooden ones in craft stores, ceramic ones at the feed store, or just get a small tub of golfballs at Walmart.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Personally I use rubber eggs as they are just the right weight, wash easily, warm easily, and so realistic that my husband has put them in the tray for eating.....OH dear.

Sandie

4. Gold Griffin Chicken Mom

Gold Griffin Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Suffolk, Virginia
    When I was little, my parents found a salt shaker that was vaguely egg shaped. The hens sat on it no problems. We learned that plastic Easter eggs, even filled with sand, evetually became brittle and broke.

My brother got a handful of golfballs and he's been using those in his hen nests.

Last year, knowing I'd have laying hens, I looked for eggs at Easter time at drug stores and the Dollar Tree. I was using two glass eggs and a stone egg until my broody hen decided to try to hatch them. I brought the three fakes in the house and Ms. Broody is now hopping off the nests. I hope she'll start laying again soon.

5. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    golf balls work nice. My broody was dedicated for a week, but then decided there was no life in them and kicked them out of the nest.

6. anbhean

anbhean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2010
    Colorado
    Oh wow, I didn't even think of some of those options! Cool, thanks everyone!

7. xyresicchick

xyresicchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Providence, RI
    you can get wooden eggs for 1.00 ea from mypetchicken.com

i'd have more to say but everyone else on here said those ideas already [​IMG]

8. itsachicken

itsachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    St. Louis
    We found a vaguely egg shaped rock and then wrapped it in papier mache to make it more egg like. Our first egg was laid today right where it was supposed to be!

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I get eggs laid wherever I have a white golf ball, but for some reason, the girls are not willing to lay eggs in the nest with the YELLOW golf ball. I'll probably take it out this weekend.

10. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    Quote:Where do you get rubber eggs??? I've never heard of them.
    I usually buy the wood ones at the craft store. I think they were $.79 a piece or a bag of a dozen for around 6 bucks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by