Dumor 20% Chick Starter Grower And Leg Issues

MGG

Enabler
Feb 7, 2020
So a couple months ago I switched from Purina Flockraiser to Dumor chick starter, because of how expensive the Flockraiser had gotten. Shortly after I left on a month long trip. My friend that was taking care of the birds called me one day when one of my goslings seemed depressed and couldn't walk. I'm guessing it has been a day or two before she noticed it, because he died the next day. He may have gotten too dehydrated being unable to walk, I'm not totally sure. I had had her give b complex just in case, but it was too late. Upon recently getting back, I discovered leg issues in a lot more of my birds. Too many to just be a coincidence.
My blue laced gold wyandotte cockerel was reluctant to walk, and when I got him out was shocked to see that he was severely bow-legged.

The gosling that died while I was gone has three siblings, and all of them had wobbly bowing legs. One was affected really bad, and would tremble while trying to walk.
It's also worth noting these are Canada geese, and fairly light birds. Not like some of the really heavy domestic types.

My one ringneck pheasant chick has curling feathers, he looks almost like a frizzle. I had her mixing the chick starter and Purina gamebird crumble together for my pheasant chicks, since the Purina gamebird is a bit high in protein for my liking. I've mixed chick starter with the gamebird in the past for raising pheasant chicks and it always worked great.

And my one adult Canada goose, who is two years old and the mom of my three Canada babies, has some odd shakiness going on in her legs as well.

I also had a young chicken chick that I was raising on this feed develop extreme rickets. After giving b complex for weeks she finally fully recovered.

I gave everything durvet injectable b complex orally, and the three Canada goose goslings seem to be doing much better after that. Still a bit wobbly while walking, but definitely better. I just started it today with the other birds though so nothing new with them yet.

What would be going on here? I feel like it has to be a feed issue. I'm switching back to Purina Flockraiser for sure, but will there be any lasting damage from this? Will my cockerel's legs go back to normal?
I'll get pics asap of the cockerel and pheasant chick too so you can see what I mean.

If anyone else has had leg issues with their birds while feeding this I'd be interested in hearing your story too. I'll probably try contacting the company, but I'm not sure that will get me anywhere.

I haven't had any issues using it. I usually use it for raising ducklings. I have had to use it when I couldn't find other feeds as well. The last batch I bought, I did notice the quality was not the same. I had to soften the crumble with water for my ducklings because it was unusually hard. I always add extra niacin to my duckling feed just in case. But I could definitely see the quality dropping. It is suppose to have the bare minimum of niacin for ducks, but some ducks need more than that and I would think the geese would too. The fact that it effected your chickens too is rather unusual.

I will be interested to see if you hear back from the company.

I haven't had any issues using it. I usually use it for raising ducklings. I have had to use it when I couldn't find other feeds as well. The last batch I bought, I did notice the quality was not the same. I had to soften the crumble with water for my ducklings because it was unusually hard. I always add extra niacin to my duckling feed just in case. But I could definitely see the quality dropping. It is suppose to have the bare minimum of niacin for ducks, but some ducks need more than that and I would think the geese would too. The fact that it effected your chickens too is rather unusual.

I will be interested to see if you hear back from the company.
Yeah, I thought if it had just been the waterfowl that would have made sense. But I had at least two chickens affected by it as well.

I haven't contacted them yet, I'm still trying to find an email address or phone number to call. I'm guessing getting through to Purina will not be the easiest, lol.

I just went out to give b complex to everything again, and my adult blue goose that was totally fine a couple hours ago can't stand up unless he uses his neck.
This is so crazy.
Does anyone have any idea on anything else I can be doing for them?

This is so odd! I’ve only used Dumor starter briefly with chicken chicks, for a couple of months (I didn’t like the chemical smell so I switched to Purina). Didn’t have any problems. Where is your feed stored? Heat can break down some of the nutrients in poultry feed, vitamins especially. It’s been really hot this summer. If your feed is stored outside, that could be something to consider. Or if it spent a lot of time in the heat during transit or storage while being transported to the store.

I used to store my feed outside in a metal trash can, seemed like a popular thing to do. Under the back porch, always in shade, but that can would get hot and steamy in the summer. At the end of the first summer doing this, one of my hens suddenly developed wry neck, without having had any head injury. She’d been fine up until then, so probably not genetic, or it would’ve shown up earlier. And a vitamin deficiency would mean it was the feed. There’s no way to know for sure, but I asked on here and people pointed out the feed being outside all summer could’ve been compromised. I tossed that bag, and have been storing all my chicken edibles in the basement since (feed, scratch, etc) where the temperature doesn’t swing to extremes. Birds are very susceptible to vitamin deficiencies, and those can manifest in weird and extreme ways.

Last edited:
I just went out to give b complex to everything again, and my adult blue goose that was totally fine a couple hours ago can't stand up unless he uses his neck.
This is so crazy.
That definitely sounds more and more like an overall vitamin deficiency with so many different things going on. With all the weird shopping issues and delays caused by covid and everything else, the feed bags could have gotten stored longer than should have in hot cargo bins.

This is so crazy.
I have chickens, no ducks. I have bought Dumor feed before but prefer Nutrena Flock Raiser or Purina. My birds do not eat Dumor very well.
I have had a couple chickens with leg issues in the past. I've always put some poultry vitamins and electrolytes in their water for the whole flock for a couple days.

Also to any bird with symptoms I gave them the following about 2 times a day-

Leg Problems/paralysis in poultry

Both human vitamin E softgels and vitamin B or or super B complex are easily found in most drug or grocery stores. I recommend 400 IU of vitamin E and 1/4 to 1/2 of B complex crushed and put into a spoonful of water or a little food daily. Scrambled egg is usually good for selenium, that helps with vitamin E uptake.

I got this info from several of the BYC experts at the Emergencies forum. Hope it helps!

This is so odd! I’ve only used Dumor starter briefly with chicken chicks, for a couple of months (I didn’t like the chemical smell so I switched to Purina). Didn’t have any problems. Where is your feed stored? Heat can break down some of the nutrients in poultry feed, vitamins especially. It’s been really hot this summer. If your feed is stored outside, that could be something to consider. Or if it spent a lot of time in the heat during transit or storage while being transported to the store.

I used to store my feed outside in a metal trash can, seemed like a popular thing to do. Under the back porch, always in shade, but that can would get hot and steamy in the summer. At the end of the first summer doing this, one of my hens suddenly developed wry neck, without having had any head injury. She’d been fine up until then, so probably not genetic, or it would’ve shown up earlier. And a vitamin deficiency would mean it was the feed. There’s no way to know for sure, but I asked on here and people pointed out the feed being outside all summer could’ve been compromised. I tossed that bag, and have been storing all my chicken edibles in the basement since (feed, scratch, etc) where the temperature doesn’t swing to extremes. Birds are very susceptible to vitamin deficiencies, and those can manifest in weird and extreme ways.
I've heard DuMor is made by Purina for TSC, so I thought maybe it would be cheaper and close enough to the Flockraiser. The nutrition facts seemed close too, but something must have been off.
I have been storing my feed in my shed, in a plastic trash can that I keep the lid off of. I don't have mice in there and all birds in there are always contained in pens. It hasn't really been that hot here either, like 70s-80s for highs. And I go through feed quick enough that I don't really think it would have time to break down the nutrients? I buy new feed weekly usually.

Our TSC is small though, so it's possible that feed was stored some place before getting here.
The other feeds I was getting from TSC I haven't had any issues with, like the layer feed for the chickens or the Flockraiser for my ducks.

I have chickens, no ducks. I have bought Dumor feed before but prefer Nutrena Flock Raiser or Purina. My birds do not eat Dumor very well.
I have had a couple chickens with leg issues in the past. I've always put some poultry vitamins and electrolytes in their water for the whole flock for a couple days.

Also to any bird with symptoms I gave them the following about 2 times a day-

Leg Problems/paralysis in poultry

Both human vitamin E softgels and vitamin B or or super B complex are easily found in most drug or grocery stores. I recommend 400 IU of vitamin E and 1/4 to 1/2 of B complex crushed and put into a spoonful of water or a little food daily. Scrambled egg is usually good for selenium, that helps with vitamin E uptake.

I got this info from several of the BYC experts at the Emergencies forum. Hope it helps!
Thank you! I have durvet injectable b complex, and my birds actually seem to like the taste so I've been putting it in all of their waterers. I can't find a good dosage though for just putting it in water, so I've been guessing.

My geese especially are very picky, and I haven't been able to find a treat they like. I'm surprised they like the water so I was just going with that.

Back
Top Bottom