Dumped ducklings! *Now w/PICS!!! pg 2*

Oh! All of your babies are just beautiful!
smile.png
I am so glad you took them home. I had to laugh thinking of that tiny one thinking "get off me you big oaf" when bumped by the big pekin baby.
smile.png
Now I want duckies in my bathtub!

Yeah, the Pekins are not the most graceful animals I have seen!
tongue.png

They make up for their lack of grace by being big and fuzzy and squishable, though!

I'm pretty sure that at least one of the Pekins is a girl because I have heard some quacks slipping out from between the peeps already. Hopefully the khakis will be girls because the two khaki's that I already have are boys and I don't need more drakes!

love.gif

Those khaki's look so small next to the Pekings!!!

Just to show how stupid I am, when I went to the feed store to get my khaki duckling JJ a buddy, I purposely avoided getting Pekings because they get so big. So what did I bring home? A ROUEN! I had NO CLUE they got big too! LOL

Quote:
Really? I think they will be gorgeous when they are finished feathering out, but right now they look kinda funny with the baby fuzz still hanging on everywhere amongst the feathers. I asked the breeder to try to pick 2 girls and a boy, and he said he thought he had but my fingers will be crossed anyway.

How do you tell the sex with 'scovies anyway? I know that with other ducks the females quack all loud and the boys have whispery voices, but I read that 'scovies don't quack?? Do I just have to wait for the curl feather and for the head to be more bumpy?

I couldnt tell with my 'scovies till the drakes started getting SO BIG compared to the hens.

Our feed store is awfull. last time I was there, they had about 75 yellow ducklings in a tank, very close to the open door and it was not a warm day. The babies were all huddled in the farthest corner, and they were trampling each other. There were at least ten-fifteen babies dead.

And so, the other chicks, being the little dinosours that they are, were eating them and it was GROSS! There heat lamp wasnt even pointing toward them.

So I turned it down, and then went and told her, and she was like"Oh, OK. Yeah" Before I had even got done talking. All I had said was "Your chicks are cold." We were there for another 20 minutes or so, wondering around, (looking for waterheater thermostats...) and she never even went out there to look at them.

Made me mad!

No tail curl for the male muscovy, the males will be a lot bigger, so it is a wait and see game!
They will not quack, unless they are being attached ot think they are! Mostly they make a hissing sound, and the frmaled make a hiccups squeak kinda sound!

Back
Top Bottom