dumped ducks (fishers, in)

Pilze

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 28, 2013
I found a medium size flock of ducks that some one has dumped. They were very friendly. I'm going back to try to catch some, but I can't take all of them. I saw Pekins, khaki, Cayuga, runner, black Swedes... In Fishers, Indiana

Last edited:
FYI,

These birds are not dumped.

They are owned by our HOA and myself, and are used to treat the pond for algae and pond pests. We have installed both a marina de-icer and a pump to move water to keep them alive all winter (I have been doing this for several neighborhood associations including mine for 15 years now).

We have had birds disappear recently. I assure you, these birds are happy, healthy, and well cared for. I know you have the best intentions but the trouble has started with a homeowner who has made up rumors of them being dumped, attacking children, freezing on the ice, and dying.

In reality, we have had zero birds killed, but 13 ducks "rescued" and now an Emden and a Toulouse goose taken. The emden a few days ago, and the Toulouse goose a month or two ago, I thought he was our first loss to predators.

The pumps are surely evidence that running water will be provided so nothing happens to the animals, and they are fat with food and literally no birds have died.

I am sorry if I seem upset but these rumors that they were dumped were spread by an angry homeowner who has told 5 neighbors that she "allowed her dog to kill them" (not true they are all accounted for except for the 13 or so birds that were "rescued" from the pond attached to our own. This lady also tells people that the crested ducks were illegal that's why they are removed, etc. She cares not for the welfare of the ducks, the drama began when we told her children nicely to stop feeding them bread and leading them to their house (by dropping bread along the sidewalk to her home) and then feeding them at her house, and feeding them crackers and dangerous foods that could harm them, and throwing things at them. She told me "she didn't need my help parenting" and has literally not stopped doing everything she can to get them removed--- her new tactic is to tell organizations that these birds are abandoned, mistreated, and dying.

Which, could not be further from the truth. These are all male birds, I buy only males because hens don't do well in this setting, they try to nest and get eaten off of the nest. I had a Pekin drake that lived to 15 years old in another subdivision I lived in in Carmel, they thrive in the winter. In fact, we all know people keep the birds in Alaska. I lose far less birds in the winter than in the heat of the summer.

Here is the process, so everyone understands:
1) My HOA and I arranged for the use of the birds for pond maintenance and children enjoyment.
2) I purchased the animals, and raised them in my garage. Only males are used, as usually they are culled because people buy mostly hens of many breeds for egg production, the extra drakes are then culled. This is a use I found to help these animals and improve their unfortunate situation.
3) I released them to the various ponds, used my herding dogs to teach them to stay in the pond. (For the first week I come every hour to chase them in so they learn that the water is their safe haven). We lost zero birds during this transition, only lost one bird due to a car hitting it after they were taught to walk in the street. (this has been taken care of now the behavior has been stopped)
4) I feed them several times per week, as do the homeowners.
5) In October, a marina de-icer is introduced to keep the water circulating so it doesn't freeze and they don't succumb to predators.

Currently 5 communities in Carmel have domestic birds, a couple in Fishers, and I hope to help others expand. It gives these drakes a chance at life, it is a green way to clean the pond, they are beautiful and loving and the kids enjoy them, and it is a win/win for everyone.
15 years is a longer life than most people who keep birds on farms report-- and it makes sense. Racoons break in to coops, foxes and coyotes sneak in at some point, and birds are lost. On a pond, any healthy bird can escape predators on the water.

I spoke to you about all of this a couple days ago, and did my best not to be rude or upset. Again, I think you believe you're doing a "noble thing" but now that you know the facts, you need to return my animals to me and let me know who took the others.

These birds are the property of myself and my homeowners association (I have showed the police my receipts, many photos, and explained the situation). It is not your place to disagree with anything we have done and take it upon yourself to confiscate our animals. How is this different than coming to my house to take my dogs when they are on invisible fence using the restroom in the morning and then saying you won't return them?

You had a comment, you said "I feel awfully entitled to this pond" Robert, with all due respect... I pay HOA dues for this pond. I paid for the birds, their care, and their nurturing. I paid 500 dollars out of my pocket for various pumps, extension cords, and professionals. I pay taxes, this is my HOA's land, their birds, and also my birds. What you have done is essentially theft. And additionally, do you think that cramping large geese in a small crate in to your honda to your home is more ethical treatment? We have no idea what you have done with the birds, we don't know if you eat them, if they sit in a small crate in their own feces, if you sell them for profit, we have NO idea that they are safe, yet you expected us to take your word for it when my wife and I spoke to you? And you will "think about" bringing my geese and birds back?

We don't have to defend what we are doing to our birds, but did anyway because I think your heart is in the right place. I believe you that you thought you were saving them, and didn't bother to look at the evidence or do any research. If I want to cook my birds for Christmas dinner it is in my rights to do so--- although I would never harm my animals because they are my family, it is within my legal rights to do so. (Legal or not). My point is, it isn't your decision to tell someone "well I don't like how your Porsche is being driven, so I will go ahead and confiscate it and give it a better situation"

I asked for your information so I could followup with you and make sure my animals were safe and get them returned to me, and you told me you aren't giving me anything and flee'd. This makes me worry even more about my animals. If you truly care about their well-being, then you will return them. You can clearly see they were not dumped and you made an honest mistake. Rather than being ornery and feeling your entitled to my pond and my birds, please return them.

15 years is a longer life than most people who keep birds on farms report-- and it makes sense. Racoons break in to coops, foxes and coyotes sneak in at some point, and birds are lost. On a pond, any healthy bird can escape predators on the water, and do so well.

Here are photos of the water and the birds while I was raising them:

As you can see, they are fine and have plenty of water, since running water doesn't freeze pumps work fine. In fact, one pump works fine. It's all we have on our other ponds and it has worked for years. My HOA cares so much for these birds they installed a several thousand dollar marina de-icer AS WELL as me installing my pump.

Here are the geese that you took. Rex is the Emden goose, our favorite most personable bird, and the two toulouse geese are rescues from a local wildlife rehabilitation, she took them in as Canada geese and they turned out to be domestic, so we adopted them as our own. She also helps our animals with veterinary care.

Here is one of the fawn and white runners that I found out recently were taken by a rescue about 70 miles away because they were also told they were "dumped". This boy developed a small sore on his foot and we brought it to her to take to the vet to be treated. I knew they had disappeared, but recently found that the people that "rescued them" lived 70 miles away and confirmed that they were taken. I knew predators didn't take that many birds with zero evidence.

Our cat investigating the emden gosling. The cat is harmless and ended up fleeing as soon as the goose looked at him. This is my wife beginning his lifelong bond to our family.

here is some of group one a couple weeks later after a trip to the pond for fun!

Here is Rex, my goose you have, eating food and socializing his next batch of friends in May.

Here they are a couple weeks after release.

Again

The pond algae shortly after introducing my ducks

The same pond, and the same spot, 2 weeks later. (These results have been found every neighborhood community we have done this with-- and even more impressive is they have not needed to treat the pond for Algae which harms the fish, indigenous waterfowl, and ecosystem.)

My group just before some were "rescued" this summer.

Again, return my geese and any other birds of mine you have. I am missing both black and blue swedish, two fawn and white runners, three white crested, some cayuga, a buff orpington, a Rouen, and a chocolate indian runner.

Please tell me if you know who took my other drakes, if they have been placed in good homes that is OK i don't wish to cause more stress to them, but I do want to prevent more people from taking my animals, so I would like to talk to them.

Last edited:
3Ford,
Sorry to hear all this trouble for a good effort. Is there anyway to get a local paper or news channel to do a short exposé on the HOA and your efforts that will educate the locals that the birds are NOT DUMPED. I'm thinking the more info goes out then the locals will know what your doing.

Best to you.

I would be happy to but I'm the past no one seems to care or consider it newsworthy. I passed out information to all homeowners in my neighborhood though I will give it more thought. :)

I'm don't know about your town, but here local paper has a community section and they are always looking for good news. I'd even try sending them what you wrote above, very well written and thought out. Wish we could help out, best luck to you.

That is a great idea too.

The only problem I've had with even the level of education I do provide is that once "that neighbor" (like the one who is causing all of the trouble that has nothing better to do than make all other home owners lives heck, ammunition because since they sent wild it opens forum for them to complain and cause trouble. We all have that neighbor right? But I guess if they aren't in the neighborhood and the community is aware it will prevent that problem since they have little say in what we do, potentially.

Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having - it must be heartbreaking seeing the birds being nabbed one-by-one, even if the ducknappers mean well. Do you think you might be able to raise some money from fellow residents to put up several signs around the perimeter of the lake? They could simply explain that the ducks are property of the HOA, for weed control and enjoyment of residents, and are being provided with food, attention & veterinary care. That way even if someone had been misinformed, a 'rescuer' might realize the ducks weren't dumped. Hopefully your HOA would allow for the signs.
smile.png

Put lots of BIG signs around each pond you put you birds on explaining they are cared for and owned. Also that thieves or people harming the birds will face legal action.

I can see why someone would thing they had been dumped at the moment.

Its very interesting what you are doing.

I did a similar thing on my housing estate. There are 7 houses all around one small lake. Everyone agreed I could put 6 ducks onto the lake. All was well for a few months, then 'that neighbour' started stealing all the eggs, every day, for weeks. He used to get up at 5am to do it. When I questioned him (I used to share the eggs out between the people that wanted them), he made up lies about some poor minority family coming and stealing the eggs each day (I knew the family and I was so angry someone would lie like that).

After that he somehow managed to tempt the ducks into his yard, close his gate and let his dog kill 3 of them. 3 managed to escape, one badly injured, which I took to the vets. It recovered. One day I saw him speed up in his car to try to run them over. After that I decided to re home the ducks to a friend. Everyone was so sad to see them go, their kids used to love feeding them, and families used to come down our street to see them.

There always seems to be one odd person who spoils it for everyone else.

I don't even like to go near the lake anymore as it makes me feel so sad. Last week that guy decided to chop down a very beautiful old tree from the lakeside and throw the branches and trunk into the lake. He also dumps his garden waste on the lakeside, and lets his dog poop around the seating area. I am sure he like to do these things to get a reaction from people. He and his wife were caught in a neighbours garden stealing the fruit off his trees. The lady was so shocked she just told them not to do it again. I don't understand some people.

Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having - it must be heartbreaking seeing the birds being nabbed one-by-one, even if the ducknappers mean well. Do you think you might be able to raise some money from fellow residents to put up several signs around the perimeter of the lake? They could simply explain that the ducks are property of the HOA, for weed control and enjoyment of residents, and are being provided with food, attention & veterinary care. That way even if someone had been misinformed, a 'rescuer' might realize the ducks weren't dumped. Hopefully your HOA would allow for the signs. :)

I am going to approach them about this, I would be happy to pay for it myself the hoa just has to agree to let me. My only concern again is the troublemaking people that just find out someone made a decision without them and want to cause trouble for various stupid reasons. They're always one or two of these families in each community and they make everyone's life so annoying!

Put lots of BIG signs around each pond you put you birds on explaining they are cared for and owned.  Also that thieves or people harming the birds will face legal action.  

I can see why someone would thing they had been dumped at the moment.  

Its very interesting what you are doing.

I did a similar thing on my housing estate.  There are 7 houses all around one small lake.  Everyone agreed I could put 6 ducks onto the lake.  All was well for a few months, then 'that neighbour' started stealing all the eggs, every day, for weeks. He used to get up at 5am to do it.  When I questioned him (I used to share the eggs out between the people that wanted them), he made up lies about some poor minority family coming and stealing the eggs each day (I knew the family and I was so angry someone would lie like that).

After that he somehow managed to tempt the ducks into his yard, close his gate and let his dog kill 3 of them.  3 managed to escape, one badly injured, which I took to the vets.  It recovered. One day I saw him speed up in his car to try to run them over.  After that I decided to re home the ducks to a friend.  Everyone was so sad to see them go, their kids used to love feeding them, and families used to come down our street to see them.

There always seems to be one odd person who spoils it for everyone else.

I don't even like to go near the lake anymore as it makes me feel so sad.  Last week that guy decided to chop down a very beautiful old tree from the lakeside and throw the branches and trunk into the lake.  He also dumps his garden waste on the lakeside, and lets his dog poop around the seating area.  I am sure he like to do these things to get a reaction from people.  He and his wife were caught in a neighbours garden stealing the fruit off his trees.  The lady was so shocked she just told them not to do it again.  I don't understand some people.

That's awful I've never had anything like that happen! I can say though that I don't place females I this setting anymore because they attract predators when they lay eggs in a nest and train coyotes foxes raccoons and ravens (the worst egg destroyers!) to inhabit the lake more often. Coyotes and foxes hunt early am when the ducks lay putting them at further risk. Females only love 2-6 years in this setting and I decided years ago that it was I humane for female hens to live in this environment at all plus people don't appreciate them nearing in the ground over in their bushes. Females are also more loud and can annoy homeowners (although my geese make enough noise). Females also try to nest and the egg always get eaten within 4 days of hatch date before I can take them, and the hens get eaten off the nest!

Also, male birds have nowhere to go and I like providing a happy healthy life for theme rather than being culled or ending up on someone's dinner table!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom