Dumped ducks in Central Kentucky

@Marie2020 Thank you for checking in! I think for now, we will finish this round of antibiotics and then see what the vet says at her next check up. I really appreciate the information you’ve shared, I think we will probably end up trying many different things over the next months.

Pekins do look like they’re smiling! I love it 🤗.

The vet said he would prefer not to drain the pus for now, he said in his experience that sometimes makes things worse. And thank you ♥️ I will hold onto those words in the more difficult moments.

lol no name yet! We’ve been calling her Duck. Our ducks have really taken to her, especially our little Welsh Harlequin. I think we’ll still keep her in the pen for now, just to limit her mobility. But soon we might start letting her out for brief visits.
Thanks for the update.

How's she today? :)

She’s about the same! Maybe her swelling has gone down a tiny bit? That might be wishful thinking on my part. We named her Boop. Her appetite is good and she doesn’t seem to be in too much pain! We still have another full week of antibiotics left.
Have you tried soaking in warm Epsom salt? Also I would try a warm rag on top of what you are doing I noticed it helps alot.

Just checking in to let you know that we're still thinking about your duck and I hope the treatment is working.
Thank you, that really means a lot 🥲. Still hard to tell if the antibiotics are working—some days she seems slightly improved, but it’s not consistent. Her follow up vet appointment got bumped up to tomorrow, so we’ll see what the vet says. I’ll tell Boop that people are rooting for her!

@Peas4Ducks is there a scab to tell where this all started?
No scab that I can see, just the two huge swollen spots on her toe and ankle. After doing some more reading, I think she might be vitamin A deficient? Because her feathers aren’t in great shape, and her bill is peeling. The food she’s on right now has lots of vitamin A, and I’m also adding probiotics, so hopefully that’s making an incremental difference.

Back
Top Bottom