Dumped ducks in Central Kentucky

I also have a Pekin Duck that suffered severe bumblefoot off and on for 8 months. The Avian vet only suggested to euthanize her on October 22, 2020 and declined any further treatment. She has suffered some bone erosion which causes a chronic limp but she gets around well and even beats the other ducks in her obsession anytime I offer minnows. She's been infection free since late November/early December 2020 and still waddling around. If you're willing, it may be possible to treat. Just to give you some hope. You are the one with her so please don't think I am trying to pressure you in any way. In complete transparency, I am still wrapping my ducks foot as a preventative because her limp causes her foot to drag a tiny bit which eventually causes an abrasion. It's not a huge effort though. You've got support and a cheering squad no matter what you feel is best. Thank you for helping these ducks. You're the best!

What antibiotic did they prescribe. Mine has bumblefoot and the shitty vet prescribed oxytetracycline but never saw the bumblefoot.
SMZ-Pediatric. It's the same antibiotic this vet has prescribed literally every time we've brought a chicken or duck to him, but it's also worked so far.

She's been infection free since late November/early December 2020 and still waddling around. If you're willing, it may be possible to treat.
That's amazing!! Did you continue to treat with antibiotics after the vet declined further treatment? I read that proper nutrition, especially vitamin A, can also make a big difference. I'm hopeful that her switching from whatever she was eating in the pond to regular duck food will be just as helpful to her recovery as the antibiotics.

And thank you for your words of encouragement! It seems like she's a fighter and wants to get better so I'm definitely willing to try.

SMZ-Pediatric. It's the same antibiotic this vet has prescribed literally every time we've brought a chicken or duck to him, but it's also worked so far.

That's amazing!! Did you continue to treat with antibiotics after the vet declined further treatment? I read that proper nutrition, especially vitamin A, can also make a big difference. I'm hopeful that her switching from whatever she was eating in the pond to regular duck food will be just as helpful to her recovery as the antibiotics.

And thank you for your words of encouragement! It seems like she's a fighter and wants to get better so I'm definitely willing to try.
Yes I did. I ended up doing a lot of studying up on what was going on with my duck and the different antibiotics and combinations of antibiotics that work best for severe infections that involve the bone and/or joints. After deciding on an antibiotic I already had on hand, I started looking into the different dosages and the maximums/minimums. I ended up doubling the dosage she was getting before. I continued to soak her foot and bandaged her up every night. Eventually I was able to remove the pus and it was a lot! She had quite the hole in her foot pad but it healed up beautifully! You're right, a good diet is definitely important 💜 I like to add nutritional yeast to their food to bump up their niacin and other good stuff. Their environment is another important factor. With her being so severe right now, did the vet mention keeping her contained in a heavily padded area until shes better? Does she have an obvious wound on her foot? I'm so happy you have an Avian vet supporting you and this duck. Have you named her?

Yes I did. I ended up doing a lot of studying up on what was going on with my duck and the different antibiotics and combinations of antibiotics that work best for severe infections that involve the bone and/or joints. After deciding on an antibiotic I already had on hand, I started looking into the different dosages and the maximums/minimums. I ended up doubling the dosage she was getting before. I continued to soak her foot and bandaged her up every night. Eventually I was able to remove the pus and it was a lot! She had quite the hole in her foot pad but it healed up beautifully! You're right, a good diet is definitely important 💜 I like to add nutritional yeast to their food to bump up their niacin and other good stuff. Their environment is another important factor. With her being so severe right now, did the vet mention keeping her contained in a heavily padded area until shes better? Does she have an obvious wound on her foot? I'm so happy you have an Avian vet supporting you and this duck. Have you named her?
That’s amazing! I’m so glad that she healed up and has you to take care of her. Lucky duck ♥️.

The vet just said to limit her mobility so she doesn’t step on anything hard or sharp. Right now we’re planning on keeping her outside in a small pen in the grass during the day and inside in a storage tub with towels in it at night. She’ll also get swimming time in the bathtub. I’m not sure if the grass is soft enough, but I’m not sure how to keep her on padded ground outside.

She doesn’t have a wound, just a hue swollen bump on her ankle and another lower on her middle toe.

She doesn’t have a name yet! I’m terrible at naming animals. I’m hoping something just comes up that feels right fit her.

Thank you again fir your advice and kind words.

@Peas4Ducks are you seeing any improvement with the duck? If you need to wrap her foot, I'm happy to show you what I use like @Miss Lydia mentioned above.
Did the vet xray the ducks leg and foot? The lack of a wound with swelling in the ankle sounds eerily familiar. Bumblefoot is the most common, especially with heavyweights like Pekins, but the more I read, the more I feel like I was wrong on my ducks initial diagnosis back then. She DID in fact develop bumblefoot. I'm not 100% sure about a difference in treatment between another diagnosis. I did have to remove pus (hard chunks) from her ankle by making incisions on multiple occasions. Since you've got an Avian vet, I'm confident they know way more than I do, but I just worry since the vet wasn't enthusiastic about her recovery. I wonder if the vet suspected something more than severe/Grade 5 bumblefoot? I hope she's improving 💜

@Peas4Ducks are you seeing any improvement with the duck? If you need to wrap her foot, I'm happy to show you what I use like @Miss Lydia mentioned above.
Did the vet xray the ducks leg and foot? The lack of a wound with swelling in the ankle sounds eerily familiar. Bumblefoot is the most common, especially with heavyweights like Pekins, but the more I read, the more I feel like I was wrong on my ducks initial diagnosis back then. She DID in fact develop bumblefoot. I'm not 100% sure about a difference in treatment between another diagnosis. I did have to remove pus (hard chunks) from her ankle by making incisions on multiple occasions. Since you've got an Avian vet, I'm confident they know way more than I do, but I just worry since the vet wasn't enthusiastic about her recovery. I wonder if the vet suspected something more than severe/Grade 5 bumblefoot? I hope she's improving 💜
I really appreciate your offer! I’m not sure at this point if wrapping her foot will help, but I’ll ask the vet at her next check up. At some point, I’m sure I’ll have questions about the specific antibiotics that you ended up using, but it’s still early days.

The vet didn’t x-ray her foot, he diagnosed it as bumblefoot very quickly. I think because her foot was so hot and he could feel multiple pockets of pus. We’re not seeing any improvement yet, but I don’t really expect to—I found another thread where someone has been treating bumblefoot with antibiotics continuously since June (!!), and that ducks’ feet looked very similar to hers. But that duck is healing, so I’m hopeful she might as well.

I feel so bad for her. She’s very scared of me, and I have to handle her often to medicate her, take her outside, put her in the bath, put her up for the night. I feel like she’s constantly terrified. She’s also molting, so I’m sure being touched so much is uncomfortable. I keep telling myself (and her) that it’s ultimately all to help her.

Here she is! If you zoom in on her left ankle and toe, you can see how swollen they are.

B1F88B43-CCFD-4CD4-9AD5-7E5EC1C63D00.jpeg

Thanks for checking on her. I think she’s in for a long haul.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom