Injured duck

arrowti

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2014
Maine
Hello, I would like to ask for help to treat an "older" injured duck. She is a large cayuga/pekin cross, 9 years old, and I believe otherwise healthy (lays eggs in summer months, eats and drinks, etc). She belongs to my parents and I do not live there anymore but I am visiting and will try to see if they can follow a "treatment" plan for her. She started limping last week, on Tuesday (I was told). She has issues standing and balancing due to what I personally believe is her left leg, and is mostly content to lay in one spot. She is currently in molt. My parents and I are not aware of the cause of the injury.

I checked her out today to look at her feet (no signs of bumblefoot or injury), and her legs and while I did not notice any obvious swelling on one side over the other, I noticed her left knee was much warmer than the other and that is the side she is limping on worse. She is really struggling to put weight on her leg and can't balance at all, falling on her butt and chest frequently. She does not like being touched or approached.

I am definitely going to put her in the pen to recover without her blundering around and injuring herself further, but is there anything else I can give her to help her heal? My parents are "put it down if it's hurt/sick" kind of people and will do the bare minimum to heal an animal otherwise, which I understand, since so many times to help them has ended poorly, but I would like to give her a chance. She is eating, drinking, and pooping - the three normal duck duties. It appears to simply be a leg injury.

Attached duck tax for Mrs. Duck - couldn't get a picture of the legs really, she was too wobbly, but also nothing to see, visibly... The other two ducks she lives with are healthy and normal.

Attachments

• mrsduck.jpg
    mrsduck.jpg
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 89
Unfortunately it's hard to tell - I am dealing with the same issue on a 5 month old duck. Hopefully it's just a sprain and you can keep her in a small space with food and water where she can see the other ducks. You could give here vitamin B complex - 1 ml a day - which can help leg strength. 9 years old is a really nice long life for a duck!

liquid b complex is great!! there is also this , @Miss Lydia will know the dosage. She gives it to her ducks, or at least one of her ducks, I think.

Attachments

• C19F4BCA-4169-41DF-AA2D-073FC4B6A232.jpeg
    C19F4BCA-4169-41DF-AA2D-073FC4B6A232.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 12
I give the cosequin to my oldest Muscovy who is 12 yrs he had an injury several years ago from fighting with our gander and it never healed so I assume arthritis set in. A friend told me her avian vet rec this particular cosequin for her ducks so she sent me some for mine. it was a few months before I noticed he wasn't limping any longer. So this may be a good choice to see if it will help her. He's 14-15lbs and I give him a little less than half a tablespoon[about half of a half tablespoon] daily over a small amount of dry dog food[which he loves] I put a little warm water over it just to soak up the cosequin into his treat. The Cosequin has to have MSM in it for it to be effective.

Giving liquid B complex would be a good idea too.

Hello, thank you for your replies!

We'll look into getting some Cosequin - my parents have a glucosamine with MSM for dogs (older dog with arthritis) treat but it has too high of a dosage, is chicken flavored, and has far too many other ingredients that I don't feel would be good for a duck.

Back
Top Bottom