Injured duck

Can you post some pictures of the leg where the swelling is? is this area warmer than the other leg?
Also check the bottom of her feet like @HeritageFan recommended. Just to make sure nothing is going on there.
I have 3 Runner drakes and when they are young they are just like most young drakes very hormonal and will mate every chance they get. Most of the time my Runner females are after them to mate. And I have had a few girls come up lame every once in a while but never have they had a leg injury like your female it could be this drake or could she have injured her leg another way?

Can you post some pictures of the leg where the swelling is? is this area warmer than the other leg?
Also check the bottom of her feet like @HeritageFan recommended. Just to make sure nothing is going on there.
I have 3 Runner drakes and when they are young they are just like most young drakes very hormonal and will mate every chance they get. Most of the time my Runner females are after them to mate. And I have had a few girls come up lame every once in a while but never have they had a leg injury like your female it could be this drake or could she have injured her leg another way?
Yeah, I checked her foot and then I put her in pool. At first one leg went out to the side like splayed leg, then she got it under her. I brought her in the house. Swelling went down and she ended up laying her head on mine and went to sleep lol. She's never done that, she always runs from us but she'll eat out of my hand but when I stand up she runs. Tonight she was so loving lol. She's doing better after I washed her and massaged leg some. I didn't see any injury or bumps, I think it's the young male. I seen him standing on one of the other females, he didn't act like he was trying to do anything just walking on her. She was trying get away but couldn't stand up because of him. I don't think he's doing it to be mean just young. Hopefully he calms down. I appreciate the help and advice.

Hmmm
Are you seeing signs of “breeding damage”, like missing feathers, or scrapes on her back?
If not, and your drake is a runner/ there are no heavier bodied male birds that have access to her, I personally doubt that is the issue.

An avain Vet is the best option, if it is an option, of course. We are just other keepers of fowl and are not vets!

If a vet is not an option-
Have you checked her feet?
Bumblefoot seems a much more like option to me. Sores that are often warm, have black “centers” or “splits” on the toes, or a big black spot on the base of the foot/ near a claw.

Can you please take some photos of the undersides of her feet and send them here?
If it is bumblefoot, we can coach you on that/ there is a ton of info here you can find.

Also, please feel her leg carefully, and move it, to make sure you don’t feel a break or damage that might have happened in a scuffle w another bird.

Durvet Vitamin B supplement is a liquid that you can get at most good sized feed stores- it’s not labeled for ducks but can be pulled up w a syringe (it is an injectable for goats, given orally to ducks over treats), and nutritional yeast from the health food store is another good option to increase vitamin B.
You can also crush up some “people” vitamin b tablets, but they can’t be time/ slow release or they won’t be absorbed. Crushed tablets can also be sprinkled over normal feed. Excess Vitamin B won’t hurt anyone, and may help w leg issues.
That said.
If it is bumblefoot, the added vitamin B alone won’t resolve the issue. You would need to treat the infection, and resolve the sanitation issues that led to it.

@Miss Lydia

Please send photos of the bottoms of her feet when you can -

@Farmgirl283420 - same goes for your chicken....
Although the B vitamins are not as critical for chickens as they are for waterfowl.
You might want to start a separate thread and tag me in-
She's doing better now. I put her in pool to see how she'd do, at first leg went out like splayed leg, then she got it under her and swim, not like she normally swims but was moving around. Then I brought her in the house, clean her foot and leg good. Massaged it. Swelling went down, I held her for awhile. She feel asleep with her head on mine lol. I saw him today standing on top of one of my other females, walking on her. Didn't look like he was trying to mate, just standing straight up and walking. I had to walk in to make him get down. Sorry about pics, I didn't see this message when I brought her in. If swelling comes back or she acts differently ill take pics but I'll probably take her to vet if she's not feeling good in morning or starts back to crawling. After I took her back out she limped a little but was walking instead of crawling. The one he was standing on started limping. For now, I have him in a separate area. I think he's just young, he doesn't seem mean, just young. I appreciate your help. Thank you

My drakes will stand on their females too I guess that is dominance. They can defiently be weird.
Usually, it only takes a few days for my girls to recover great to hear your girls is recovering so well.

My drakes will stand on their females too I guess that is dominance. They can defiently be weird.
Usually, it only takes a few days for my girls to recover great to hear your girls is recovering so well.
Sorry for late reply. Been so busy with her and taking care of my other animals, not injured lol that I forgot to get back on here lol. She's dooms great. We put her in the pool once a day and swims good, now she's standing more but walks like a little old lady, but getting better every day

I have indian runner ducks, I bought a male suppose to been blue Indian runner but looks black or maybe mixed drake. It wasn't the same drake as Pic. I kept it anyways because I felt it was safer with us. Anyway, she's almost 2yrs old. I noticed her limping a couple days ago, then yesterday she couldn't stand, just crawl basically. I put her in a separate pen and checked her out. Leg joint was swollen, I saw the black runner sneak up and jump om them. Aggressively. My drake Chief stopped him several times but Bob the black one still tries. I'm afraid he hurt her. I'm bringing her in the house now. Is there anything I should look out for. I'm worried about her. They eat what I'm told is the best duck feed, Nutreena or something like that plus worms and sometimes treats for ducks. Any help would be appreciated

Yeah, I checked her foot and then I put her in pool. At first one leg went out to the side like splayed leg, then she got it under her. I brought her in the house. Swelling went down and she ended up laying her head on mine and went to sleep lol. She's never done that, she always runs from us but she'll eat out of my hand but when I stand up she runs. Tonight she was so loving lol. She's doing better after I washed her and massaged leg some. I didn't see any injury or bumps, I think it's the young male. I seen him standing on one of the other females, he didn't act like he was trying to do anything just walking on her. She was trying get away but couldn't stand up because of him. I don't think he's doing it to be mean just young. Hopefully he calms down. I appreciate the help and advice.
Here's few pics but may not be great pics lol. She's doing a lot better. She's standing and walks but walks like a humped over old lady lol but getting better every day. It's possible she got stuck in the fence and panicked and jerked her leg out. I just saved one the some how got her bill stuck in the fence, it's a big chain link, top bill was on one link the bottom bill on a different link, I thought it broke her bill but just bruised it. She's eating and drinking, quaking lol. Loud as always haha..

Attachments

• 20231229_180959.jpg
    20231229_180959.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20231229_183038.jpg
    20231229_183038.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231229_183036.jpg
    20231229_183036.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231229_183041.jpg
    20231229_183041.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 0
Might be a good idea to cover the bottom part of the chain link with some other type of fencing when I have chicks and ducklings to keep them from going through the fence I tie wrapped plastic poultry fence to the bottom of the fence to keep them inside. It's pretty inexpensive.

Last edited:
Might be a good idea to cover the bottom part of the chain link with some other type of fencing when I have chicks and ducklings to keep them from going through the fence I tie wrapped plastic poultry fence to the bottom of the fence to keep them inside. It's pretty expensive.
I'll look into that. I've been thinking same thing. Working on some land now and putting up a new, bigger fence for them. Doing it differently this time, a safer way lol

Back
Top Bottom