Dumped Guinea Fowl in store parking lot

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Stumbled upon this FB post this morning. Seems this Guinea Fowl has been wandering a Grocery Outlet parking lot for a while now, posted 2 days ago. We were already planning on going through Mt. Vernon on Thursday, I want to see if I can find him if I stop by the parking lot. Just replied to the post to see if I can find out of he's been rescued, or if anyone has any more info on him. I guess we'll see. I'm concerned because I only get one shot. We don't live near the area he's roaming in, and I'm not sure when we will be going back. What should I take with me? Dog crate? Chicken feed/treats? Thanks for any suggestions!
Additionally, I know nothing about Guinea Fowl, I've never owned any, and wasn't prepare to when I saw this post. What do I need to know? What do I need to feed him? I will need to setup a quarantine area, but on such short notice a dog crate will have to do for now if I catch him. Thank you all for any help, I'll update you on what I find out. Photo-
Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 2.32.30 PM.png

Evidently you have other poultry and since I only have Guineas and have only read what other people say here, If I was you I'd leave him alone. Guineas are flock birds and don't do well with other poultry if they don't have their own flock. It is very altruistic of you to be concerned with his well being, but single Guineas(esp. cocks) are more trouble than they are worth. Guineas are great fliers and the chance of you actually catching him are slim. If you do go there , the biggest fish net you can find is your best bet. They also require gamebird food, not chicken. Good luck

Evidently you have other poultry and since I only have Guineas and have only read what other people say here, If I was you I'd leave him alone. Guineas are flock birds and don't do well with other poultry if they don't have their own flock. It is very altruistic of you to be concerned with his well being, but single Guineas(esp. cocks) are more trouble than they are worth. Guineas are great fliers and the chance of you actually catching him are slim. If you do go there , the biggest fish net you can find is your best bet. They also require gamebird food, not chicken. Good luck
Good to know. Thank you! Maybe I'll post it on the state thread and see if anyone in the area has Guineas that could check it out? I hope someone rescues him soon, but your probably right, I'm not setup to have Guineas. :p

Good to know. Thank you! Maybe I'll post it on the state thread and see if anyone in the area has Guineas that could check it out? I hope someone rescues him soon, but your probably right, I'm not setup to have Guineas. :p
It’s really sweet of you to try to help him! Hope he finds a much better home than a parking lot - guineas aren’t good at avoiding cars and he’s likely to get hit.

It’s really sweet of you to try to help him! Hope he finds a much better home than a parking lot - guineas aren’t good at avoiding cars and he’s likely to get hit.
This was my thinking. I really hope he gets reduced to. I found the same post in another area of FB. Someone replied and said he'd been there for a while, almost two years. Maybe his home is somewhere nearby and he comes here during the day? I'm not sure how he would survive that long otherwise. Still, that person should NOT be letting him roam. He's going to get eaten or hit if someone doesn't take responsibility for him.

Stumbled upon this FB post this morning. Seems this Guinea Fowl has been wandering a Grocery Outlet parking lot for a while now, posted 2 days ago. We were already planning on going through Mt. Vernon on Thursday, I want to see if I can find him if I stop by the parking lot. Just replied to the post to see if I can find out of he's been rescued, or if anyone has any more info on him. I guess we'll see. I'm concerned because I only get one shot. We don't live near the area he's roaming in, and I'm not sure when we will be going back. What should I take with me? Dog crate? Chicken feed/treats? Thanks for any suggestions!
Additionally, I know nothing about Guinea Fowl, I've never owned any, and wasn't prepare to when I saw this post. What do I need to know? What do I need to feed him? I will need to setup a quarantine area, but on such short notice a dog crate will have to do for now if I catch him. Thank you all for any help, I'll update you on what I find out. Photo-
View attachment 2972523
Hi there,

Just to let you know he is still there. Spotted him tonight 😞
85F3B38D-6103-4362-A706-BB6EFD85D57D.jpeg

Hi there,

Just to let you know he is still there. Spotted him tonight 😞View attachment 3211824
I know! Someone posted about him on a lost pet page today. I shared it on local poultry groups to see if anyone with guineas could catch him. I think he’s been there for a while, apparently the store feeds him? That sounds like fatty liver disease and nutritional deficiencies waiting to happen. I’ve also heard many people have tried and failed to catch him. I hope someone can catch him soon. It’s only a matter of time, he needs buddies too.
Poor guy.

Back
Top Bottom