Dumping Dogs

We have experienced the same, once found a cardboard box full of puppies on our land. I have a neighbor that has a soft spot for kittens, so I tend to herd the unwanted kittens that direction. I have caught and taken to the pound a few dogs, I always leave a little lighter in the wallet. Of course, I like most people living in the boondocks have to take matters in hand and eliminate the unwanted guest. Sad, but that is part of living in the country.

we get the same thing.. cats.. kittens.. puppies.. adult dogs.. seems living in the country people just assume you will take care of their unwanted pets

had to chase off a dog earlier this year for killing my birds.. he was very skinny too.. felt sorry for him.. but had i known he was out there before he started his killing spree I would have given him a bowl of food and tried to catch him.. not end up feeding him several of my birds

friends of our are dairy farmers and she was telling us that people drive by her farm all the time and fire their cats out the door thinking that they'll just become "barn" cats. Sadly most aren't neutered/spayed and therefore must be put down otherwise they'll overrun the place. I was shocked that people would blatantly do this. I guess there are morons everywhere

I don't think people who dump dogs are totally heartless. Inconsiderate, desperate and irresponsible but not heartless. I think they, for whatever reason, need to get rid of the animal but either can't afford to take it to the pound or fear that the dog will be killed at the pound and maybe, just maybe if they drop it off out in the country, some nice person will take it in and give it a good home.

If we all put signs out that said "Any animal found dumped here will immediately be tortured to death." maybe people would think twice about it being an option.
wink.png
(I am in no way condone dumping animals or torturing them!)

Somebody dumped a pitbull (or pit/boxer mix?) out here last year. I see an emaciated pitbull slinking around in the yard and I'm not sure if I should just shoot it or try to help it and I hate being put in that position.
sad.png

I agree that some people are probably naive and think their pets will find homes, instead of being put down.

Mostly, however, if the animal shelter charge people to take in the unwanted pets, that is why they're getting dumped on you all instead. Slowing down and chucking a cat out the door on the way to work is just a lot cheaper.
somad.gif

So, maybe a combination of educating the public and making it free to turn in an unwanted pet would do the truck. Also, posting strongly worded signs every six feet around your property's perimeter might help.

we had a stray show up after a morning thunderstorm. she was so scared and trembling on our back porch. i did keep her for a few days and posted photos and fliers in 3 neighboring towns no one claimed her and she wound up being picked up by our dog control officer and they took her to the local spca. here if the dog is picked up by the dog control officer they automatically go to the spca and get rehomed.

Quote:
we have had missery for 9 years now. he was dumped and i calld the spca they did pay for his shots and to be neutered but there was no room at the shelter and we had to go get him. The spca told me to release him into the wild. he wouldnt leave he continued to stake out on the porch and would slip in every time the door was opened. we just gave up and kept him and hes now an indoor/ outdoor cat. Luckily for him he got a happy ending but we have neighbors with a ferral diseased colony of cats and they are getting snatched by our dog when they enter her territory i do feel bad about the situation and my neighbors wont get help for the problem and so manyf them get smashed in the road and they leave them there in the road.

Quote:
Maybe that's the reason, it's like a invation. Think you need to find out, what your state law is and then print that and that there are security cams out and everybody will get reported. Hope that will help, cross my fingers
fl.gif
. What are that for people, which dump their dogs..........?
barnie.gif

So sorry for your lost birds
hit.gif

I live 2 miles down a country road and get so many dogs dumped. It is awful. We do not have a pound to take them to or anything to do with them other than haul them back off or shoot them. Both of which are illegal and my having to do so is an illegal act but I am left without another option. And I always feel so guilty doing so. How can the person dumping them not feel the same quilt. At this point I am so frustrated with the situation if I could catch them dumping a dog I would be more inclined to shoot the owners. (not literally) They are the one's that need to be punished. I take very good care of the 3 80 lb dogs I currently have but can not afford another one nor risk the lives of my chickens. It is just a awful situation to be in I feel your pain.

Back
Top Bottom