Dumping ducks a big no no

Status
Not open for further replies.

azure_

Songster
Jul 23, 2020
Western Massachusetts
Last edited:
yes i saw that too. they didn’t want the ducks and didn’t want to have to deal with them. i think they could have found a much better solution (nice pet home, animal sanctuary, etc) but they just released them. sadly they will die much faster than a true wild mallard

I just read that thread and find it so sad that someone would raise ducks and then dump them like that. In my town, there is a campus pond where people routinely dump the ducks that they don’t want. I assume that they buy them as adorable ducklings but don’t want to care for them once they are no longer as cute. These ducks last for awhile but slowly disappear. There’s also a small lake in town where I see domestic ducks swimming with wild mallards. That mixing is not good for the wild mallard gene pool.

Anytime you adopt or buy an animal you are accepting responsibility for that animal for the entirety of it's life. Even if you choose to use that animal as food, you are still responsible for caring for that animal until its end. If you get tired of said animal, you are responsible for finding another person to take over your role as care giver. "Releasing" the animal into the wild is NOT the same thing as rehoming it! It is considered dumping, both morally and legally.

yes i saw that too. they didn’t want the ducks and didn’t want to have to deal with them. i think they could have found a much better solution (nice pet home, animal sanctuary, etc) but they just released them. sadly they will die much faster than a true wild mallard
yes and they completely thought that it was ok because they were Mallards

Anytime you adopt or buy an animal you are accepting responsibility for that animal for the entirety of it's life. Even if you choose to use that animal as food, you are still responsible for caring for that animal until its end. If you get tired of said animal, you are responsible for finding another person to take over your role as care giver. "Releasing" the animal into the wild is NOT the same thing as rehoming it! It is considered dumping, both morally and legally.
YES

I just read that thread and find it so sad that someone would raise ducks and then dump them like that. In my town, there is a campus pond where people routinely dump the ducks that they don’t want. I assume that they buy them as adorable ducklings but don’t want to care for them once they are no longer as cute. These ducks last for awhile but slowly disappear. There’s also a small lake in town where I see domestic ducks swimming with wild mallards. That mixing is not good for the wild mallard gene pool.
So sad and not ok at all

That doesn't surprise me! There's places where you can get adorable cute hatched ducks. When they get to be too much or not so cute, they dump them. I wish they contacted places and groups before dumping. I've seen lots of domestic ducks and geese at local parks lately. We hatched Khaki Campbell eggs from a local farm. They said that we could always bring them back. They're attached to us and especially my daughter. I just wish people would be understand all the responsibilities before they buy pets, poultry, livestock or horses.

Whilst I fully agree with all of the above and would never abandon any animal/bird -I do find myself in a worrying situation at the moment as my last hatch of 6 eggs bore 5 males and only 1 female. I'm trying to rehome 2/3 of my absolutely gorgeous males but am having no such luck at present.
Getting worried as by next spring I will have a BIG problem if my flock stays the same.
Still would never dump though......must think of something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom