Dumpster Diving-Garage Sale-Goodwill-Thrift Store & Craigslist Finds

Oh..I miss dumpster diving, curb shopping, good thrift stores. Here, where I am in SC, I have 1 goodwill....in a small town. There just isn't that much to donate from the local community.
2 weeks ago however, I went by the Goodeill, and snagged a great hoard of remnants. All for 2$ a piece. I am currently going to be making pot holders and aprons for the kitchen section of my Country Boutique. I have a ways to go before I can open for business, but I would like to get some inventory made up during the winter months.

Quote:
WOW !!! You are soooooo lucky!
thumbsup.gif

My husband and I love going to yard sales and estate sales. My older kids, 18 and 19 are used to their mom's thriftiness. But it has rubbed off on them and they love antiques and " treasures" that I acquire.
The 18 year old is moving out with a antique square table and 4 chairs. Very unusual shape. THe table has leaves and the high back chairs are covered in red velvet. We were told it came from an English Manor and the pastor knows the elderly gentleman that owned them. We got the whole set at our church's auction for $75.00.

I gave my sister a cheese maker and a yougurt maker for Christmas ( she got cows this year) that I found a yard sale for $8 for the pair. They were still in the boxes with directions and both were from about 1970. The yougurt cups are made of glass if that tells you anything. She was very excited.

I also gave my mom a quilted table topper that I scored at a yard sale for a couple of bucks. She quilts and knows the work that goes into something like that. I also gave her some fabric I got at an estate sale for her stash.

My good friends gave my 18 year old a bed and mattress for her new apartment as they are moving out of state and downsizing. Solid wood headboard with storage cubbies.

This year my husband has scored several deals on tools on Craigslist that he was thrilled with.

I also get most of my daughters clothes at yard sales and consignment sales. I bought my youngest a cool train table at a church sale this year for $20.00. I know I can sell it at a kids consignment sale for at least $40 when she outgrows it.

I have even picked up items by the roadside and sold them at our own yardsales. I wish I had more room to store things!

We also love to attend a local antique fair twice a year- this year I bought some doilies to use as rugs in the dollhouse my mother redid for youngest DD for Christmas. Similar items on Etsy are about $10 each and I bought them for $1.

My friends who are downsizing are GIVING me an antique pew that came from the local confederate widows home, just for helping them clean out the house. AND a TON of crafting supplies for me and another mutual friend who are making wreaths, etc to sell.

Oh what an awesome thread, somewhere to share the "deal of the day" as I call it!!
tongue.png

Here as some of our finds this year at Goodwill as well as CL:

This shed on cl for $150, DH had already pressure washed it by time I got to take a pic but you get the idea. We added some new trim and repainted it and it looks like what you pay $1000 for at Lowes or Home Depot.
49849_gedc0188.jpg

49849_gedc0191.jpg

Bought these herbs on clearance at Lowe's, paid a whopping $1.50 for all of them. Bought them home and planted up and put them on the front porch.
49849_dsc05897.jpg

Once and a lifetime CL find, handmade art from Mexico out of old texaco barrels. Lady said she paid over $250 for it, we got it for $100!!
49849_dsc05683.jpg

I couldn't believe what we picked this up for at Goodwill, a whopping $8 bucks! It all works and has original manuals, extra attachments and oil.
49849_dsc05797.jpg

Found this at a different Goodwill for only $1, 3 yards of unused chicken fabric
49849_dsc05800.jpg

Our latest CL find was this 9 foot Christmas tree that retailed for well over $300 picked it up for $75
49849_dsc06849.jpg

*Forgot to mention the $150 deluxe food saver new in the box we picked up at Goodwill for $15!!
big_smile.png

Thanks for letting me share, have subscribed to this topic.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

Great finds!!!!!

I love the rooster. There is one that is about 15 miles from my house and the lady refuses to sell it. She says that it's a conversation piece. Yea, it's a conversation piece alright. I would love to have a conversation about it while it's sitting in my chicken yard.
gig.gif

They sell that scrap metal art everywhere here. Is it not really common out there? $100 seems high but I don't pay attention unless I am buying one. How tall is it?

Quote:
He's over 5 feet tall. This is definitely not something you see in this neck of the woods very often, it did travel a long way to get to NC. We have even had people see it from the road and stop just to ask us about it.
big_smile.png

Quote:
He's over 5 feet tall. This is definitely not something you see in this neck of the woods very often, it did travel a long way to get to NC. We have even had people see it from the road and stop just to ask us about it.
big_smile.png

Exactly. That rooster is not the "usual" metal art that you see everywhere. That rooster is much much taller.

So I have to share my latest Goodwill find.. We found a really cute young girls shirt with a kind of guinea bird print. Shirt has a few buttons on the front and they read the word "grow" and it looks like a small smiling flower. There is not a makers tag, however inside was a hang tag from I can only assume to be a boutique. It read kids 5-6 with a price of $125.00!!!
ep.gif
We only paid a couple of dollars.
big_smile.png
I have tried to find info on the possible maker but so far nothing.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom