Dun Laced?

Many buffs have some black in their wings and tails. IFF instead you see a chocolatey brown colour in these areas, the bird likely carries dun. If you see black, it does not carry dun.

This is dun:
Bird in front has two copies, bird in back has one.
20590_sam_1789--khaki_vs_chocolate.jpg

Frizzled bird has two copies of dun.
20590_sam_1731--khaki_frizzle.jpg

Anyways, that colouring is the colour you would see in the lacing on a dun-laced bird. The interior of the feather would be ground colour (red, buff, golden or silver).

question removed and asked privately.

Last edited:
hinkjc,
I have a few d'anver pullets that came out that exact way this year too, yet I have no laced birds yet (working on them) and d'anvers are recessive white I know that for sure..
Mine all came from my solid white breeders, yet a few of the hens are showing very visible laceing, so kinda currious to see what folks think on yours as well.

Quote:
your best bet is to forget buffs as a possible source of dun, very hard to tell, and most likely they wont (unless marked like sonora said)

Get those you mentioned that you knew were available in dun laced to start the project. To be honest, this will be very complecated, because you are working on two new factors all in one project, and imitaion of the breed, and creating a new color. So the work will be twice as hard and long to correct for type and color you want here.

The laced should come threw fairly easy, may have to back cross one more time to pure it up, as the first will most likely be an incomplete lacing. But then you are only 25% phoenix, most likely with fuzzy legs (depending on what you use) Then start the back breeding to phoenix to get they longtail type back in them (just a warning from experince, that's a pain in the rear, blood feathers that is) all along, keeping an eye on the lacing to make sure it doesnt deteriorate with each cross. The dun shouldnt be an issue, if you start with a dun laced bird, once it's in there, you should be able to keep it with proper breeding.

This will take you several years, but I wish you the best of luck on it, and would love to see some pics when you are done. Are you planning on gold, silver, or red laced?

Quote:
your best bet is to forget buffs as a possible source of dun, very hard to tell, and most likely they wont (unless marked like sonora said)

Get those you mentioned that you knew were available in dun laced to start the project. To be honest, this will be very complecated, because you are working on two new factors all in one project, and imitaion of the breed, and creating a new color. So the work will be twice as hard and long to correct for type and color you want here.

The laced should come threw fairly easy, may have to back cross one more time to pure it up, as the first will most likely be an incomplete lacing. But then you are only 25% phoenix, most likely with fuzzy legs (depending on what you use) Then start the back breeding to phoenix to get they longtail type back in them (just a warning from experince, that's a pain in the rear, blood feathers that is) all along, keeping an eye on the lacing to make sure it doesnt deteriorate with each cross. The dun shouldnt be an issue, if you start with a dun laced bird, once it's in there, you should be able to keep it with proper breeding.

This will take you several years, but I wish you the best of luck on it, and would love to see some pics when you are done. Are you planning on gold, silver, or red laced?

Yeah i know two things are alot of work, im not phocusing on the color but in the long run i think that would be beautiful for my imitation ohiki, soo with that said, i guess i wanted to know what colors to start my breeding stock off with to have the best chance in the future to get a dun lace.

well, if you start with a bb red phoenix bantam, and breed it to any gold or red laced bird for color, all your offspring will be that colored laced, just an incomplete version (which to me looks just fine on it's own) If you find one that is already dunned for your first cross, your there pretty much color wise. It's just finding a dun laced round bodied starter bird. I am doing the same thing this year but just for bantam phoenix, not ohiki. So stay in touch and we can compare notes on our out comes there.
But color wise you should be pretty much on with your first cross if you use or gold or red laced over a bb red phoenix.
Then just start that work to correct for tail and possible feather legged, and ear lobe and leg colors, while watching for the roundness and short legs, cant loose that or you will be getting away from you type goal. Color shouldnt be too big of an issue if you can start with those though.

Last edited:
Okay, cool! Im not sure what the Phoenix's i am getting are i hope to get some from gypsychic (so i can duccle eggs at the same time!) but i chose all buff colored breeders stock for the non long tail cross, buff orps and one buff cochin. So what are some other colors i could add? I dont really want to go to wyandottes because of a rose comb, can i cull that out? but after 3 generations of out crossing to straight combed chickens will it still be rose combed?

Quote:
what are they, mutts? in the top pic, the first one looks like a silkie but the roo is normal feathered.

Quote:
yep, that's the problem with rose comed birds, it's dominate and very hard to get rid of once it's in them. Gypsy got a good bit of hers from me, so you will have some that came from here, not sure what she's bred them too since, but she did get some from here. Very nice to work with and does have some very nice d'uccles too.

Cochins are your best bet for ohiki styled birds, . I have never kept a single one though, so not sure what colors the come in here. I do have hopes of getting some pure ohikis soon, will keep you posted on that if it all works out, may be able to help you out a little there.

Quote:
yep, that's the problem with rose comed birds, it's dominate and very hard to get rid of once it's in them. Gypsy got a good bit of hers from me, so you will have some that came from here, not sure what she's bred them too since, but she did get some from here. Very nice to work with and does have some very nice d'uccles too.

Cochins are your best bet for ohiki styled birds, . I have never kept a single one though, so not sure what colors the come in here. I do have hopes of getting some pure ohikis soon, will keep you posted on that if it all works out, may be able to help you out a little there.

Cochins come in like every color! haha

yeah i am working on getting some ohikis too, i have been in contact with Toni-Marie and she said to check back in the spring!!!! But i still want to try and create my own just incase it dosn't work out.

Back
Top Bottom