Dunlap Hatchery Turken Bantams

NoelTate

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Mobile, AL
I want some turken/naked neck bantams. I figure I can either buy them from a hatchery, and not many seem to have them, or I can try to get hatching eggs when one of my hens goes broody. As nice as it would be to depend on a hen to raise the chicks, I figure ordering chicks themselves is much more reliable. Does anyone have experience with Dunlap? I don't show chickens, so show quality is not important. I just want true, pure turken bantams for my own fun little backyard flock. Would appreciate it if anyone can recommend me to use or not to use Dunlap.
Thanks!

Hi,

I took a look at their website and their pictures show turkens that are obviously mixed with something, probably Old English bantams(my guess). Also the hen pictured at least shows a giant bowtie which shows the stock is not pure for naked neck gene, which means while most of the chicks will hatch with naked necks, a few will come out with fuzzy necks(on average 1 out of 4).

It's a problem- most hatcheries mention up front they "deliberately mix colors for a varied color flock" or have the words "mixed colors" which means very random colors, with a lot not matching any in the Standard. Not too rarely, the bantams are also crossbred from their looks. Standard sizes tend to look more or less alike, except for color. If that is not important.. then go ahead and order from Dunlap or whatever hatchery. Backyard breeder sources extremely often are mixed, with various things like pea combs, feather legs etc. yet are sold as or implied to be "pure turkens"(I don't think mixing is a bad thing.. but this can be frustrating if one wishes to get birds that more or less match the standard, even if not show quality. Like you noticed, bantams are pretty hard to find).

So far I know only one hatchery that makes an effort to breed "standard" turken in bantam- Duane Urch. A search will easily bring up his name and info. He breeds only whites and reds. I had one white from him, it was a nice bird.

Sometimes I see posts for bantam turkens in the "sell" section. There was a guy who had pretty nice looking black bantam turkens a couple months ago.. he was selling eggs. Try a search for turken or naked neck in the "sell" section?

So...with a breed of bantam, how bad is it to have stock that has been mixed with something else? Isn't that how the breed gets started and other colors brought in? How many generations before the birds are considered pure? I do not plan to show the birds. Standard colors are not important to me. My chickens are all in one coop, so when I hatch I get all sorts of mixed colors. I do want them to be true bantams and turkens, though. Thanks for the info!

If you're still looking for bantam turkens, my father raises them all the time, and has several different color variations available. Let me know. Thanks

If you use the hen you'll probably have luck because when I was breeding my hen It was a bad snow storm the whole time she was sitting on the egg and it still hatched.
jumpy.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Hi i am starting breeding bantam turkens for show are they pure breed and solid color
thank you Willis
WOW excellent...!!!!! im very interested...! I was looking for white bantam turken roo & pullets, if you could give me more info about yours , I would greatly appreciate it , thanks so much :highfive::thumbsup

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom