Dunlap?

Our local feed store gets all of their chicks from Dunlap. I have heard really good things about how clean their facility is. The lady at the feed store who orders buys their chickens for her flock. She really likes working with them. I was originally going to go to the hatchery to pick up an order of chicks, then I decided to just get them from our feed store.

I got my three chicks at the local feed store here, but before I got them I asked where they came from. That's how I knew what hatchery my chicks are from. I ordered 1 Barred Rock and 2 SLW. One SLW is coloring out to be a very white version of a SLW while the other one looks pencilled to me. All are healthy and are copping "teenage attitudes" today, at almost 6 weeks old.
smile.png
They have happily coexisted as a mini "pack" until recently! Now every time they are out of the brooder, they fight! They peck at each other and even do some crazy chicken ninja moves to jump on each other!

I sure hope they work out a decent pecking order soon though, lol.

My neighbor and I ordered from our feed store, who gets their stock from Dunlap. We got 15 BOs, and 8 BAs, 6 weeks ago, and all have been healthy and vital. They have grown like weeds and we would definitely order from them again, if we were unable to hatch our own.

Here's some now!
58241_spring_forest_and_chooks_018.jpg

here they all are, 6 weeks ago:
58241_chooks_2011_021.jpg

Brightest Blessings!

Quote:
Could you possibly have a pair of SLW? Im still not 100% my odd chick is a SLW, those 2 have got me stumped for sure..
I think their quality is fine and I like being able to drive down the road if I need to
smile.png

I don't think I have a roo...it's just the coloring on one of the SLW's is more "pencil" than "lace". I posted pics on the Wyandotte thread, but no one ever agreed/disagreed with me, lol. I actually like that they are different! I just wish I had known there might be another variety mixed in...

Here's a picture I took yesterday, the "pencil in question" is on the right (with the Barred Rock behind her) and the light colored SLW is on the left. They're all gorgeous, healthy, almost 6 week old chicks!

WP_000356.jpg

Well here are my two at 4 weeks, they are 5 weeks old now and have really grown. The first one was sold to me at Dunlap as an Araucana.. LOL.. as chicks they looked so different, but now they look so much alike that aside from size I can't tell them apart so I am sure she is a SLW. I posted pics of mine for a while now asking roo or no.. and everyone kept saying roo and they still do. But honestly I think the larger one is a pullet and the smaller one may be a roo. However their combs and wattles have not changed much at all. Not like some of the 8 week and older SLW roos I have seen on here. Regardless, the roos if they are will have a home to go to. But I love them they are so sweet and just neat. Chickens are a great pet
smile.png

IMG_0830.jpg

And this is the one sold to me as a Wyandotte
IMG_0828.jpg

And them together.. Wyandotte in the back, other in the front. you can see how similar they are. The front one is just nor growing as fast and its head feathers are not all the way in where as the head feathers of the one in back are now and she actually looks a lot like your dark one.
2011-04-19_11-23-25_183.jpg

If anyone is still reading this thread, I'd be curious to see what your Dunlap SLWs look like now. I ordered 4 - 2 have the very thin white strip in a black feather and 2 have the thin white strip and a strong white tip. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what they look like all grown up, I like variety! Below pics are at 4 and 6 weeks. The LB in the second pic is also from Dunlap, the BR and EE are from the local feed store.
79408_slws_4_wks.jpg

79408_slws_6_wks.jpg

Wow that's exciting, that's the hatchery that I order from! Fortunately for me Dunlaps is within an hour drive from me, so I just pick up my orders from them.

All of the birds I've gotten from them are healthy, clean, and the correct breed. My only complaint is that they tend to put roosters into your order as packing peanuts (at first I was happy to get two free, until they turned roo!).

They have an especially lovely line of Golden Comets, which are docile and very friendly (I know it's their entire line that is good because I have chicks from several different months and hatches).

I have to say that thier 'Ameraucanas' (yes they misrepresent EEs, like most hatcheries) are very close to the actual Ameraucana Silver standard. I'm almost tempted to take mine to a show just to have it judged for quality.

I'd say you'd be well taken care of by them if you order from Dunlaps. None of my chicks from them have died.

Overall, I was very happy with my chick order. They arrived without issue, healthy from the start, no pasty butt or other issues. And I love their EEs! Out of 6, all of them have unique coloring, none of them are the standard chipmunk. Not that chipmunks is bad, my feed store EE is chipmunk and she's pretty, but again, I like variety! I also really like the Gold Campine they sent, very nice little bird and closer to the standard than I thought he'd be given that he's a hatchery bird.

I don't have any photos from the last few weeks, they move every time I take a photo! But, I do have some from a week or two ago...

Sorry the photo is huge, something isn't picking up right from the other end... This is my 2 SLW's from Dunlap. The lighter one is almost totally white on her chest, with a few black flecks (no lacing) on it. The darker one is actually lacing out very nicely!
WP_000739.jpg

The redness of the comb and bits (on my BR) is still pretty red in comparison to the SLWs, but seems to have calmed down a bit from how red it was. No photos because she moves around the most!

Back
Top Bottom