Duramycin 10 Dosage for 6 young chickens? Coryza?

I too have a closed flock because of Coryza. I have given all but a few, multiple Tylan injections and for now, none of them have systoms. It is however quite a battle reintroducing treated chickens into the flock. I'm sure some have been weaked because of the disease and that causes the others to pick on them. Right now I have a Plymouth Rock in a separated part of the coop because the rooster is after her. I have decided that I will no longer treat for Coryza. I will just allow my flock to naturally die off as Coryza overtakes them. The thought makes me want to cry, but culling them is out of the question. I'm a vegetarian because I don't believe in killing animals. I do however want to build a Corya free coop. How far from the Coryza coop is a save distance to build? I have about 1/2 acre to build on. Thanks for any help you may be. Janice

Man oh man! I have been on the computer reading and researching all evening and stumbled on this old thread. Curious to know how all these issues from a year ago panned out. Noticed 1 of my 18 hens had a long strand of mucus running out of her beak when I went out to collect eggs a few evenings ago. I have a brand new coop constructed last fall with a one year old, existing super-healthy, closed flock of 18. Got weak at a local poultry auction just over a week ago and bought a couple new young hens. Bad idea, won't do that again. Pretty sure they all now are in some stage of Avian Coryza or MG. All the symptoms except the foul smell. I checked them all this evening after the roosted. Most felt very "fevered" around their heads, but the healhier ones didnt. i guess chickens get fevers too! starting them all on antibiotics tomorrow while I try to find somebody who can definitively diagnose before I decide what to do. I have had chickens for years and never had anything like this happen before. I should have known better, lesson learned!

I too have a closed flock because of Coryza.  I have given all but a few, multiple Tylan injections and for now, none of them have systoms.  It is however quite a battle reintroducing treated chickens into the flock.  I'm sure some have been weaked because of the disease and that causes the others to pick on them.  Right now I have a Plymouth Rock in a separated part of the coop because the rooster is after her.  I have decided that I will no longer treat for Coryza.  I will just allow my flock to naturally die off as Coryza overtakes them.  The thought makes me want to cry, but culling them is out of the question.  I'm a vegetarian because I don't believe in killing animals.  I do however want to build a Corya free coop.  How far from the Coryza coop is a save distance to build?  I have about 1/2 acre to build on.  Thanks for any help you may be.    Janice

Hi Janice,
You need to keep them well apart, say 50 yards. Make it so no one can escape and go visiting. I have put shade cloth all around my hospital pen just to be sure that any one who is in quarantine can't breathe on anyone else. That being said in the last year I have lost half a dozen chickens, to various causes, dog attack, sour crop, horse stomping on roo who was stealing his food, and hawks. None of the birds that showed initial symptoms have been sick since. But I was so annoyed when I bought some rblw from a registered breeder recently, and when I got them home they stunk and were weazing. When I contacted him the very next day , he told me to get any antibiotic cap , open it and pour it down their throats. So angry
1f621.png
I paid $100 for this breeding pair, and I will never introduce them to my flock. This guy recently advertised flock dispersal, of over 150 birds.

I just wanted to update about my chickens. I only lost one hen to Coryza. Today they are all healthy and happy. And yes, I have changed my mind again about treating them if I have another outbreak. They are all so healthy today, I would start the Tylan injections if there's another outbreak. I have added 9 new coops away from the closed flock. None of those chickens have ever gotten sick, but I'm real careful. I too, brought in Coryza with the introduction of a hen who was a carrier. That hen is alive and happy too. I guess we know why these deadbeats. decide to "downsize" Some people have no shame. Usually advice from these people is pathetic. I would certainly suggest Tylan injections as treatment. With Coryza, treatment involves a number of days, depending on the severity of the disease. The norm for my flock was 2 injections 3 days in a row. The sickest required shots for 10 days, and like I said one didn't make it although I believe I caught the disease late. Chickens can be real good at hiding symptoms until it's too late. It's really not too hard to give the chickens a shot. I constructed an ICU unit on the closed coop so if anyone needs injections, I'll be able to access them easily. Good luck!

I haven't lost any yet. One is just hanging on, but still drinking and eating some. They are pretty lethargic, but here in Kansas we are just getting our first 90+ degree days, i feel lethargic too when i am out side ;) Took two of the most "snotty" ones to the vet ( kept them in the parking lot) so he could swab them and send a mucus culture to the lab. All 18 are on an antibiotic he gave me until we get the culture back. I don't want to start completely over, but if the culture comes back positive for Coryza ( specifically Bacterium Hemophilus Paragalliharum), I think that is what I'll do to be safe and prevent accidental spread. We are without eggs for a very long time now, that's a new problem!!

I haven't lost any yet. One is just hanging on, but still drinking and eating some. They are pretty lethargic, but here in Kansas we are just getting our first 90+ degree days, i feel lethargic too when i am out side
wink.png
Took two of the most "snotty" ones to the vet ( kept them in the parking lot) so he could swab them and send a mucus culture to the lab. All 18 are on an antibiotic he gave me until we get the culture back. I don't want to start completely over, but if the culture comes back positive for Coryza ( specifically Bacterium Hemophilus Paragalliharum), I think that is what I'll do to be safe and prevent accidental spread. We are without eggs for a very long time now, that's a new problem!!
Sorry to hear about your problem. I feel your pain. I had an outbreak last year. All my chickens were snotty and coughing. It all started when I brought in a new chicken and didn't keep it separated from my flock for the 30 days. I had 3 young ones that were real bad. The first one to get sick died. The 2 others I culled to end the suffering. After 2 rounds of antibotic. 10 days of medz then a 2 week break and then 10 more days of it. It was cleared up. I had no problems since then.

During the time of sickness I did a scrub down on the coop with bleach about 3 times a week. I'm so glad I put down vinyl scraps on the coop floor. During my first scrub down I noticed a large amount of red mites hiding under the perch joints and cracks. I took out all the perches and power washed them with bleach. After they dried I added seven dust to the hidden areas. Poor air circulation in the very dry coop with the mites was my down fall.

Since that time I leave the window open in the coop all the time except when it dropped below freezing. Everytime I clean the coop out, once a week I put seven dust in the corners and cracks. No mites this year! I have added new chicks. 12 from a local farm, I got as 1 day olds. They are 10 weeks old now and have been added to the main flock 2 weeks ago.

So far so good. I also have about 20 chicks from my flock running around with mom's. No one sick yet. Since I did not get my sick birds tested last year. I am not sure what it was.
My thinking is the mites made it hard to breathe which triggered an upper resp infection and snowballed. It hasn't been dry here yet. So until we have a dry spell I will not know if the problem is fixed.

I have given some of my chickens away to other people with the warning keep them isolated for a month to make sure all is well. All have reported back they are healthy and no problems. That was 6 months ago. So I feel safe about my flock.

I point the finger at myself for not knowing the signs of mites and the major problems they can cause if left unchecked.

I am thinkingof getting Duramycin-10 for the 7 hens that Ihave as O a, returning on sick hen to the guy I got her from, she has a runny death smelling nose and I don't want the others to get sick. Is this ok to do?

I agree that it sounds like coryza. You are correct, sick birds rarely drink treated water. You'll have to use an eyedropper to give the meds to each bird 5-6 times a day to be effective most likely. The normal treatment is sulmet mixed in water, then another antibiotic mixed in water. Are you prepared to nursemaid all your sick birds for a long time to come? They will be carriers for life as well. I recommend that you cull your birds, disinfect everything, wait a few months and start over. Here's a link for you, scroll down to Infectious Coryza and read about it if you wish. Then a link to duramycin dosage, the dosage is universal for all size chickens:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
http://www.durvet.com/dl/Durvet-Poultry-Brochure.pdf
I appreciate all of the time you have taken into giving your wisdom to people that need it. I have read so many of your posts that seem so "hardened". It is very obvious that you have the experience and knowledge, but you might not always have the same opinion as everyone else. Telling everyone to cull their birds at the first sign of sickness might not be what is the most reasonable for each situation. If I were to cull my small flock of birds because I brought home one that is sneezing not only would it scar me for life ut it would emotionally mess up my 10 yr old son that spends many hours of his day playing with his pets. I know it has been years since you have written these posts, but I would hope that you think about the personal situation before you recommend a killing spree at the first sneeze. Even if your right in the long run, it might not always be the best option for every situation.

Thanks for your opinion Dawg!! As for perpetuating these disease I'm not even sure what I'm dealing with yet . I have quarantined 2x Roos & 2 x hens and tomorrow I am seeing an avian vet. FYI ,any medical journal will unveil 10s of thousands of chronic human diseases (that is a disease that persists despite treatment ) thank god we don't "cull " all asthmatics , for example.
It's very interesting to read the threads on this topic and sometimes very helpful,but I'm very wary of those who say cull now ask questions later....
Thank You for all of your help. You have helped me so many times with your knowledge.

Cpuzz I took my chooks to the avian vet today. I was up all night worrying , He doesn't think it's coryza phew!!! He told me to keep the 4 unwell birds quarantined for 1 month and give them Trimidine-sulfadimidine 430mg/g , trimethoprim 86mg/g 1/2 teaspoon in 3 litres of water daily for 10 days. He was surprised to hear that people might consider culling when they only have small holdings. Some of his clients have thousands of birds , in which case he would recommend culling anything under par. But in my case I only have 40 fancy birds , much easier to manage even if it was coryza! He also keeps birds and is originally from your neck of the woods.
By the way , I found that after 24 hrs on the cephalexin the original symptoms had all but cleared up.i only had capsules 500mg so I emptied cap into a tbsoon added water dissolved the powder and divided into 4x syringes(without needle) and administed straight into their beaks.
Thanks to your thread I was on top of it very quickly (with the cephalexin ) so cheers !!!! & thanks.

Man oh man! I have been on the computer reading and researching all evening and stumbled on this old thread. Curious to know how all these issues from a year ago panned out. Noticed 1 of my 18 hens had a long strand of mucus running out of her beak when I went out to collect eggs a few evenings ago. I have a brand new coop constructed last fall with a one year old, existing super-healthy, closed flock of 18. Got weak at a local poultry auction just over a week ago and bought a couple new young hens. Bad idea, won't do that again. Pretty sure they all now are in some stage of Avian Coryza or MG. All the symptoms except the foul smell. I checked them all this evening after the roosted. Most felt very "fevered" around their heads, but the healhier ones didnt. i guess chickens get fevers too! starting them all on antibiotics tomorrow while I try to find somebody who can definitively diagnose before I decide what to do. I have had chickens for years and never had anything like this happen before. I should have known better, lesson learned!

I would like updates as well.
I just wanted to update about my chickens. I only lost one hen to Coryza. Today they are all healthy and happy. And yes, I have changed my mind again about treating them if I have another outbreak. They are all so healthy today, I would start the Tylan injections if there's another outbreak. I have added 9 new coops away from the closed flock. None of those chickens have ever gotten sick, but I'm real careful. I too, brought in Coryza with the introduction of a hen who was a carrier. That hen is alive and happy too. I guess we know why these deadbeats. decide to "downsize" Some people have no shame. Usually advice from these people is pathetic. I would certainly suggest Tylan injections as treatment. With Coryza, treatment involves a number of days, depending on the severity of the disease. The norm for my flock was 2 injections 3 days in a row. The sickest required shots for 10 days, and like I said one didn't make it although I believe I caught the disease late. Chickens can be real good at hiding symptoms until it's too late. It's really not too hard to give the chickens a shot. I constructed an ICU unit on the closed coop so if anyone needs injections, I'll be able to access them easily. Good luck!

I would appreciate if you could give me detailed info on injecting bantam breeds. thanks

Sorry to hear about your problem. I feel your pain. I had an outbreak last year. All my chickens were snotty and coughing. It all started when I brought in a new chicken and didn't keep it separated from my flock for the 30 days. I had 3 young ones that were real bad. The first one to get sick died. The 2 others I culled to end the suffering. After 2 rounds of antibotic. 10 days of medz then a 2 week break and then 10 more days of it. It was cleared up. I had no problems since then.

During the time of sickness I did a scrub down on the coop with bleach about 3 times a week. I'm so glad I put down vinyl scraps on the coop floor. During my first scrub down I noticed a large amount of red mites hiding under the perch joints and cracks. I took out all the perches and power washed them with bleach. After they dried I added seven dust to the hidden areas. Poor air circulation in the very dry coop with the mites was my down fall.

Since that time I leave the window open in the coop all the time except when it dropped below freezing. Everytime I clean the coop out, once a week I put seven dust in the corners and cracks. No mites this year! I have added new chicks. 12 from a local farm, I got as 1 day olds. They are 10 weeks old now and have been added to the main flock 2 weeks ago.

So far so good. I also have about 20 chicks from my flock running around with mom's. No one sick yet. Since I did not get my sick birds tested last year. I am not sure what it was.
My thinking is the mites made it hard to breathe which triggered an upper resp infection and snowballed. It hasn't been dry here yet. So until we have a dry spell I will not know if the problem is fixed.

I have given some of my chickens away to other people with the warning keep them isolated for a month to make sure all is well. All have reported back they are healthy and no problems. That was 6 months ago. So I feel safe about my flock.

I point the finger at myself for not knowing the signs of mites and the major problems they can cause if left unchecked.
Thanks for the mites info I had never thought of mites

Since respiratory problems are not always viral, I don't always recommend culling. Air sac mites/infections can occur. Molds, dusty or damp environments with inadequate ventilation can cause respiratory difficulty which would be difficult to distinguish from a virus like MG without lab equipment. MG ( commonly called CRD) can be present with no symptoms for a length of time, and stress will bring out symptoms. I once bought birds at a poultry show from a reputable breeder. Unknown to me at the time, they had MG and were exposed to my flock. The symptoms were so minimal at the time I didn't notice until a few months later after they were out of quarantine with the rest of the flock.

I know it was MG since one I treated to no success had a necropsy at a University lab and tested positive. The rest of the flock remained healthy, but those birds I bought at the show had to be culled. I was sad to have to do it, and perhaps it was mere luck that my other birds weren't compromised, or it may have been due to strong immunity. Sometimes it is worth sacrificing one for a necropsy, rather than seeing the entire flock suffer, and eventually have to cull more.

Back
Top Bottom