Large flock with round worms, need advice on dosage

Nksg75

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Needville Texas
My Coop
My Coop
i bought a wormer powder from Jed’s bird supply online called Wormer Deluxe Powder, and it is to be used in the drinking water. I have almost 200 chickens, and usually do the safeguard mash for 5 days, however I have used that several times, and wanted to switch products to make it a bit easier on myself. i have also used valbazen in the past, however I wanted something easy this go around because my usual help is off at college.
so my question is the dosage per gallon of water. On the instructions it says 1 teaspoon per gallon. Is this correct for chickens?
I don’t want to underdose them, and have to do it again shortly afterwards.
here are the instructions, and what I purchased.
thanks for any help.

IMG_1144.jpeg
IMG_1220.png

I haven’t used that one before, but it is one of the only ones that can be put into the water. I would use the 1 tsp per gallon dose for your chickens for 2 days, as the n
label says. Most medications like this are the same for all sizes of birds, and the thought is that they will each drink the right amount for their size and weight. I would also look at your type of bedding, and removing droppings as best as you can. The more they are outside roaming around, the less of a chance they will get reinfected.

Yes, they are free ranging sun-up till dusk!
I clean all the dropping boards every other day. the litter is a dirt floor with the leftover horse stall shavings added almost daily. I try and till it all together once a month. As soon as the package arrives I will use it. It was sent out Jan 9th, and keeps getting delayed for some silly reason.

Well it looks like I may never receive the wormer due to issues with the USPS. I am in south Texas and like many other residents here my packages are stuck at one of the few sorting facilities that has decided to “Upgrade and revamp their systems”.
I am just glad I didn’t order chicks.
So now my new question is should I use safeguard mash, again or is there a possibility that the worms can become immune to the safeguar?

It can be good to rotate wormers, but unless you have been worming them constantly, they should have good results from SafeGuard Mash. It is January and with all of the snow storms and freezing weather, we too have had some things a bit late in the mail. But, most things arrive in time. Worming is not usually an emergency situation, unless a chicken is suddenly very ill from an unknown illness. That is when I worm them directly into the beak.

Back
Top Bottom