Duramycin-10 or Terra-Vet 10 Question

lemondsm

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 9, 2010
Yulee, FL
I have a couple of chickens sneezing (one has a gargling noise). We recently had a ton of rain and their runs stayed wet as well the weather cooling down quickly.

I have been told by many to use duramycin 10 (or terra-vet 10). I know you cannot eat the eggs for 21 days after the last dose but I have two questions:

1. The package has a label at the bottom that reads: Warning: Not for use in turkeys or chickens producing eggs for consumption.

It makes it sound like you can never eat their eggs if they are treated with this. Any thoughts?

2. If I can't eat the eggs for a period of time can I hatch the eggs? And what about feeding the eggs back to the chickens? (okay so that was a tiny third add on question)

Any help?

I need to treat them tonight since I have to leave town in the morning and my wife doesn't want to fool with any of it.

Quote:
If I recall correctly you have to treat them for about 10 days straight for the treatment to work. I may be wrong. Hopefully for your wife I am.
roll.png

Thanks Binders. I am going to mix it up and place it in their water before I leave. It is only for a few days. She may have to feed and water them once while I am gone. Just worried about the warning and what to do with all the eggs for a month if I have treat them for 10 days plus wait 21 days after treatment.

I would not hatch eggs, as the antibiotic will most likely affect viability or health of the chicks. However, I can say that unless you or your family members have a sensitivity, well... we eat the eggs when we've treated with duramycin, no problems.

Most antibiotics have a warning not to consume eggs. It's not for the remainder of their lives, just so many weeks after treatment. Sometimes it's 2 weeks and others are 4 weeks I think. I wouldn't hatch them, nor would I feed them back to the birds. That will increase their antibiotic intake.

Quote:
Thanks Elite Silkies.

I just hate to have to throw them away for a month.
sad.png
But I appreciate the advice. It really helps.

I've not found that water soluble meds do much good because intake is erratic. Chickens can and will go for days without drinking if they don't like the taste of the water. That said, I do use Sulmet in the water and have had no problems.

I have used the Duramycin in the water and didn't like the results. I do like injectible Duramycin and the stronger Noromycin. Both are Oxytetracycline just differing mls. I administer it by mouth as it seems to work faster.

So, if you have it go ahead and use what you have, but be aware it may not clear anything up. I'd suggest buying the Sulmet and trying it/while keeping the Duramycin injectible close by incase you need it.

I was told by a vet that chickens can't taste or smell and go entirely on sight, it that true?

Back
Top Bottom