Duramycin-10

What if you cook the eggs thoroughly. Wouldnt that kill the medication and if it loses its potency after 24 hours wouldnt that mean people can eat the eggs? I have been wondering this.

Maidenwolfx80

The previous posters explained that the WATER with the antibiotic in it loses it;s potency after 24 hours and needs to be changed and further antibiotic added.
As stated too - the eggs will have traces of antibiotic in them and are not safe for human consumption for as long as 21 days after treatment stops.

The eggs could cause many health problems if eaten.- especially if anyone had an allergy to the antibiotic(s) used.I have an allergy to penicillin and would not appreciate eating any eggs which could result in unwelcome medical problems.

Hope you understand what the consequences could be to anyone eating medicated eggs.

Suzie

Absolutely. I just always wondered. I dont eat the eggs when a bird is being treated. I just couldnt find any answers to this. But if you will, just for arguement sake, I am not sure why the water would lose potency, its just water right? So it is the antibiotic which would lose its power over 24 hours is what I understand. Of course anyone sensitive to an antibiotic may have a reaction, but the trace amounts would be small and what about that potency? Surely not something anyone wants to test but has it been tested? Is there an answer? Why is it so bad for us and everyone freaks about it but it is something we are supposed to give to our chickens? Makes me wonder what the deal is anyway?

Absolutely. I just always wondered. I dont eat the eggs when a bird is being treated. I just couldnt find any answers to this. But if you will, just for arguement sake, I am not sure why the water would lose potency, its just water right? So it is the antibiotic which would lose its power over 24 hours is what I understand. Of course anyone sensitive to an antibiotic may have a reaction, but the trace amounts would be small and what about that potency? Surely not something anyone wants to test but has it been tested? Is there an answer? Why is it so bad for us and everyone freaks about it but it is something we are supposed to give to our chickens? Makes me wonder what the deal is anyway?

It's your choice what you want to do. If you feel safe eating the eggs, by all means do so. I will adhere to recommeded withdrawal advice....that's my choice.

I can only say what I know as being veterinary instructions on antibiotics - water with antibiotic in it needs to be changed every 24 hours as the antibiotic degrades and is not as effective after this time, also I always change the water for my animals every day so I personally would need to add further antibiotic in any event.

I take your point about the testing issue.... I can only surmise that tests carried out on carcasses of chickens dosed with chemicals deem it dangerous for us to consume any ( including eggs) that have been treated with antibiotics and worming products that may be detrimental to our health.

I for one will heed the warnings and will very soon be purchasing eggs from a supermarket as I am about to dose my chickens with a chemical wormer.

As an aside, here in France any animal being treated with antibiotics (that subsequently dies ) is forbidden to be taken to an abbatoir for consumtion by humans and animals.

Suzie

Yes by all means heed the warnings, that is why they are there anyway. I just couldnt find any info on "why" exactly. What are we putting in our chickens that we eat, in any case at least the eggs.
I refresh my water everyday and give the waterers a soapy bath every week to keep them clean. I am not coming on here to harp on anyone or say someone is wrong, I hope no one took it that way, Dawg? I am just looking for answers. I want my birds in the best of health. They provide me with delicious food so I want them to be taken care of the best I can. I would not put an egg infront of my child with the knowledge of it having chemicals in it that I did not know the effect on them. That is what I will always feel and do.
Suzie I also will be buying eggs in a couple weeks because I am dosing with antibiotic right now even. Good luck, I hope your birds get over the worms soon.

Yes by all means heed the warnings, that is why they are there anyway. I just couldnt find any info on "why" exactly. What are we putting in our chickens that we eat, in any case at least the eggs.
I refresh my water everyday and give the waterers a soapy bath every week to keep them clean. I am not coming on here to harp on anyone or say someone is wrong, I hope no one took it that way, Dawg? I am just looking for answers. I want my birds in the best of health. They provide me with delicious food so I want them to be taken care of the best I can. I would not put an egg infront of my child with the knowledge of it having chemicals in it that I did not know the effect on them. That is what I will always feel and do.
Suzie I also will be buying eggs in a couple weeks because I am dosing with antibiotic right now even. Good luck, I hope your birds get over the worms soon.

Everything is ok Maidenwolf. Glad Suzie explained it to you. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks Maidenwolf..... I don't know if mine do have worms as so far none of mine are ill - just wanted to dose them with wormer in case they do have them - they free range so I expect them to have worms, it is Winter here and mine are not laying much so it is a good time for me to treat them... I hate the thought of supermarket eggs....but the health of my chickens comes first.

Best of luck with treating your chickens too!

Suzie

I agree with the supermarket eggs. I am dreading the thought of eating those but if I ever want fresh eggs again I need to get them well. My birds all free range too, I had one problem with worms in august but I plan on treating as a preventative every 6 months unless it appears I need to do it sooner. I have birds sneezing, coughing, runny clouded mucus coming from the nose and swollen eyes with bubbles and mucus coming from those too. I am giving them herbal teas for the symptoms, I use herbal medicines on the family and I like to give them to the animals and if it works then great. So far it is helping alittle but I have more and more birds comeing up with the symptoms so I need to do something. I hope that duramycin is the right choice being a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Oh... your poor chickens! I do hope the antibiotic works well for them.

Do they by any chance have a foul smell to the discharge from eyes, nose or mouth? I am hoping it is not Coryza which can be awful for them and it is contagious to all of the flock.

Whatever it is I trust they will all be back in full health very soon with the antibiotic.

Suzie
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom