During winter, cleaning and refilling chickens water in home sink

Eggs are pretty clean if the nest boxes are not messy, and they are collected daily. I wash mine in the kitchen sink.
Nothing else from the coop lands in my kitchen, or in the bathtub. There's salmonella, among other nasty things out there. I have an all-weather hydrant at the coop, and that's where the waterers get rinsed and refilled.
There's keeping up your immunity, and then there's being in the hospital with Leptospirosis or something bad. And small children and immunocompromised individuals are more at risk.
Mary

Oh man, I understand you so freaking much. My dad used to do the same freaking thing back when I was a kid. He was always arguing with my mom and my older brother regarding the fact that it is very unhygenic, and he could actually get us all sick, however he did not give a damn, he was saying that he is cleaning them really nice and there is no risk. At last, I had to cause a leak in the chicken sink so he had to call for the services of https://www.plumbersingapore.org/ and after that he decided to move it all outdoors.

We installed a deep stainless steel animal sink in one of our bathrooms especially for the purpose to keep our kitchen sink etc. clean and free of chicken and dog stuff.
Dirty eggs get cleaned in the animal sink as well.

The feeders and water dispensers get scrubbed with white vinegar and boiling water, then rinsed with boiling water and dried with paper towels. The same for the dog bowls.

Even every chicken flock, chicks and dogs each have their separate brush for cleaning their stuff.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom