1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DUSKY is a DADDY!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arlee453, Jun 20, 2008.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    We stuck a test silkie egg in the bator 3 weeks ago to see if Dusky the rooster was doing his job. (I had serious doubts...) Dusky is a blue silkie roo, and I have no idea which one of the girls laid this egg - we have one each of splash, white, buff and mixed silkie girls.

Well, much to my surprise, the egg was fertile, and last night our newest silkie baby popped out. I've put HER (we can hope) in the brooder with the button quail for now so she won't be a lonely child.

Here's the newest arrival: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just for fun....here's a less than a day old silkie chick beside almost 2 week old button quail. That shows you how tiny those buttons really are! They are dwarfed at 2 weeks by a 12 hour old silkie! (and excuse the messy brooder - it's time for a cleanout!)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  2. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    Congrats![​IMG] What a cutie [​IMG]

3. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Congrats! [​IMG]

it's only day 1 with my button quail eggs and i already feel like there not going to hatch [​IMG] i'm just so nervous cuz there so tiny i never incubated eggs this small [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by