1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dust Bath containers

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chemew, Aug 16, 2011.

1. chemew

chemew Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    I've read that dust baths are important for the health of the chickens. The dust bath should be a mixture of clean sand and DE. Does the bath need to be low to the ground? I though it might be "cute" to place the bath inside an old all steel bath tub I found out in my field. Would this be too high up from the ground for them to use or do you think they'd eventually figure out what it was and use it?

i'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences on this topic...

2. mons02035

mons02035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Carmel, Maine
    I tried using a steel tub as well. They laid eggs in it so I removed it. For me, I don't want to go into the run or coop to get the eggs so I could not let them keep doing it.

Just wanted to add what I do use now though. They have chosen a couple spots in their run to dig holes and bathe in, so I just add DE and sand to it on occassion.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

The main thing with a tub is that it would hold water when it rains, whereas it would be pretty easy to drill drainage holes in most containers. I made my dustbathing "box" simply by nailing a few boards together, lining with landscape fabric, and filling with sand.
    Where they use to dustbathe...lol...just an old wooden box that I'd stuck some sand in.
    [​IMG]
    Where they dustbathe now [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Um sorry to highjack here, but uh when do they need to start dustbathing?

5. flitter

flitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That's what I use, too. Not quite as large as the pictured box. I call it their sand box and they use it a lot. I also add wood ash (if you have any) to the sand and DE.

My smallest chicks use one in their run.

6. train2110

train2110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    eastern New York
    We use a old kids turtle sandbox. It left in the back of the shed from the previous home owners. Has a lid we can put on if it looks like rain.

7. Ifowldown

Ifowldown Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    I went to walmart and bought one of their $10 blue hard plastic swimming pools. I drilled about 20 holes in the bottom for drainage, and then filled it with sand, topsoil, ash, and a bag of peat. They love it, the whole flock tries to squeeze in and usually starts a fight. I may need to get another pool.

8. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Quote:This is what we are planning on using.
    How many peeps do you have?

9. train2110

train2110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    eastern New York
    Quote:This is what we are planning on using.
    How many peeps do you have?

We have 13, but 10 eggs under broodies [​IMG] . They fit two at a time with no problem. They are very good at taking turns, as a que starts to form they will get out to let the next one in. [​IMG]

10. jsbrando

jsbrando Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2011
    Bellevue
    I plan on putting a box together with fine sand in it for them. still in construction phase of the house. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by