1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Dust Bath for mite control

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ladyluci, Jul 7, 2010.

1. ladyluci

ladyluci Hatching

May 3, 2010
    I'm setting up a kiddy pool for the flock to bathe in and keep the mites under control. I would like to know, what's the best dirt I can use?. We have clay soil here, and I was wondering if I can use it (I can cover up the kiddy pool if it rains, so I would not get hard and caked up)
    Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:My yard is clay and the birds like it, Course they don't have much choice. I add Stall dry and wood ashes to fill back in as the hole gets deeper, Stall Dry has DE in it & Ashes are both supposed to help with parasites. Don't know if it really does, but I have easy cheap access to both.

Imp

3. gamamachik

gamamachik Songster

Feb 24, 2009
    South GA
    Sand works really well for the dust bathes and gives them some grit...[​IMG]

4. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Quote:X 2!!

5. roosterdog

roosterdog In the Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Throckmorton
    The only sand I could find in our town was red sand from the county stock pile.
    Now all my birds are red... Maybe I need to fine playground sand. I think you can buy it
    at Lumber store.

6. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Songster

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    Quote:X 2!!

x3

I get the 50lb bags of play sand, and they love it.

7. ladyluci

ladyluci Hatching

May 3, 2010
    My chickens already take baths on the clay soil and they seem to like it; I just want to provide them with a better way to get clean and keep mites away too [​IMG]
    I'll try sand and see if they like it....Thank you all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by