Dust bath help?

My Cinnamon Queen Hens all try to get in the dust bath at once when I put fresh bathing dust in there. There was 5 trying to get in at first but by the time I got back with my phone one had given up.
edb-23.jpg
edb-24.jpg

JT

My Cinnamon Queen Hens all try to get in the dust bath at once when I put fresh bathing dust in there. There was 5 trying to get in at first but by the time I got back with my phone one had given up.
View attachment 3200855
View attachment 3200856

JT
I made mine one out of 1x6's (2ft square but they don't like it)...Where did you get the tub? I'm thinking they like it raised up...I'm not skilled enough to make yours. But mine do like the raised bed garden I have, but I need something I can move when I need to.

Last edited:
I use a mixture of sifted dirt and wood ash (hardwood only).
This is Pig Pen... wonder how she got that name.
View attachment 3199164

This one I built for my Cinnamon Queens
View attachment 3199182
View attachment 3199180

This is the one that the Rhode Island Red hens use.
View attachment 3199183

Both use the same type of tubby and they have never tipped it over.

DON'T USE DE!

JT
How deep is that tub? I just threw away several cat litter boxes before I moved...Wish I hadn't done that now.

I also let mine dig where they want, but recently sectioned off part of the run, cleared out the wood chips so there was just dirt and added some organic peat moss and they LOVE it and it has helped keep them from digging right next to the edge of the run
Organic peatmoss?
I mean, I doubt you used large amounts, but peat is not ecologically sound.
And having had a peat dust bath myself, I don't recommend it.

I simply filled the dig spot in the corner of the run up with sand. Occasionally I rake it back in the corner, so now it is mixed with the dirt in the run. I have not seen them use it, but judging by the results, they must like it enough.

@Shizuka
I'd drill a few holes in the bottom of the tub as well, just in case.

I made mine one out of 1x8's (2ft square but they don't like it)...Where did you get the tub? I'm thinking they like it raised up...I'm not skilled enough to make yours. But mine do like the raised bed garden I have, but I need something I can move when I need to.
Both groups use the same tubby from Wally World probably. I put clean dirt mixed with hardwood ash in them. If your like it raised up just put the wood one upside down and the plastic one on top.

JT

Back
Top Bottom