Dust bath outside of the run

loyaleowyn

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2023
Missouri
I've searched the threads and not found an answer to this question. It's probably a dumb question is why! Nevertheless, please let me know your thoughts.

My run is small so I didn't really want to take up space with a dust bath apperatus so was thinking of placing one just outside the run. The thing is that I know it will get rained on at times.

Anyone else have the dust bath outside the run?

I've searched the threads and not found an answer to this question. It's probably a dumb question is why! Nevertheless, please let me know your thoughts.

My run is small so I didn't really want to take up space with a dust bath apperatus so was thinking of placing one just outside the run. The thing is that I know it will get rained on at times.

Anyone else have the dust bath outside the run?
Can you post pictures of your setup?
If the run is too small for a dust bath setup, it's too small for the birds.

If the run is too small for a dust bath setup, it's too small for the birds.

Yes, this.

The usual guideline is that the run should have 10 square feet per adult, standard-size bird.

There's some flex in that under certain circumstances, but crowding can cause sanitation, health, and behavioral problems.

Personally, I don't bother making dustbaths. My birds happily dig their own. :)

But, if you are free-ranging most of the time and want to provide a dustbath in the ranging area you could put it under a shelter such as I made for my feeder and waterer.

An Outdoor Shelter For the Feeder and Waterer

Personally, I don't bother making dustbaths. My birds happily dig their own. :)
Same. I've gone to alot of trouble making nice "sand boxes," only to have them run right past it and dig up against my shed where the eves keep it dry. Chicken dust bath training is just not a thing....

I guess I have a dust bath both inside the run and out. When the chickens have their limited free range time, they like to head down to a cluster of very large trees and dig around the loose dirt at the base and roll in that. The trees naturally shelter the area from rain and because the section is slightly elevated the soil drains fast so it tends to be drier than other parts of the yard.

I also provide a covered dust bath in the run.

Back
Top Bottom