Dust bath question..........

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 14 chickens & counting, Jan 25, 2011.

1. 14 chickens & counting

14 chickens & counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    What materials do I need to build a dust bath?

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Sand or dirt that is dry.

3. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Not to be discouraging but I made one and all they do is poop in it. I've never seen one dust bathe. I used half fine sand and half construction sand with some de mixed in. If you find some way to get them to actually use it (for its intended purpose!) let me know!

4. greekbioguy

greekbioguy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2010
    i made mine using wood and placed around 10 cm of thin sand inside it
    [​IMG]

it is around 70cm x 70 cm and 2o cm high

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I lined my entire run with 6" of fine grade construction sand. The chickens chose a couple of spots, 2 corners actually, to use as their dust bath spots.

6. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I put an old tractor tire out in the run in a sunny place and filled it with sand from the creek and wood ashes from my stove. They use it most when there is a fresh pile of wood ashes in it. They do tend to find other odd spots about the run and will excavate holes without any criteria I can ascertain as to location or nature of the soil.

7. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I don't mean to hijack the post, but darkmatter, can you tell me more about the wood ashes? I always dump my wood ashes into the compost, do the chickens like them? It doesn't get them all sooty? Is there a benefit?

8. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    I used a big plastic 55 gallon barrel and cut the first 18" off the top and filled it with peat moss. They stand in line to use it.

9. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:Oh, I love the tire idea. Great way to reuse something and contain the sand.

10. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

BOUGHT playground sand, lovingly mixed wood ashes and DE into it. Then BOUGHT a lovely, sealed bucket to store it in. Then placed a generous sample of this delicate mixture in a likely spot in the run. They FLED from it like it was plague and will ONLY dust bathe under the shed that they CANT GET TO unless they are out free ranging. I guess they just stare longingly in the general direction of the "chosen" dust bath area from inside their run while they ignore the custom, high dollar, thoughtfully prepared and expertly doctored dust bath that they have free access to all day long...do I sound bitter? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by