dust bath question

Somewhere on this forum is a recipe for dust baths. Sorry, can't provide a link. But it said to use an equal part of each of the following: DE, wood ash, road dirt, and sand. Never use the pool DE. It is very dangerous for YOU and your chickens. Only use food grade. (I just ordered from Custom Milling in Georgia, which I found here). I had no road dirt so I took a shovel full of dirt from the back yard, pulverized it, let it dry in the sun for a few days, then sifted it. I also sifted the wood ashes. My three week old chicks love it.

We can definitely make some wood ash - we have a big burn pile. Thanks!
smile.png

I put a small flat bowl in the brooder with dirt and grit in it for the girls, and they just ate it all! No rolling around, no fun! ding dongs!
roll.png

I will try again tomorrow after I clean their house. maybe I need more dirt?

~Caran

Quote:
If you put grit in it, they will eat it. They eat the sand and the dirt too. That isn't necessarily bad, if they can't find it elsewhere, as they need grit in their diet.

If you watch a chicken dust bathe, you will see that they create a little crater for themselves so they can get covered with the dust. So if you used a flat bowl, they probably thought it was food.

Here is a pic of some of our flock when they were younger, hangin' by the pool in the hen house.
865797a9.jpg

And here is a pic of Martha, our Silver Lakenvelder, dust batheing.
b86f59c7.jpg

Those are adorable pictures!! I might put my dustbath container inside the coop, if I can fit it in. Otherwise, I'll put it in the outside run, which will be covered.

Quote:
LOL, this is fantastic! i was just griping about a month ago that i'd gotten rid of the turtle sandbox when my kids outgrew it and it would make such a good dust bath!
big_smile.png

Quote:
LOL, this is fantastic! i was just griping about a month ago that i'd gotten rid of the turtle sandbox when my kids outgrew it and it would make such a good dust bath!
big_smile.png

Awwww you mean you already got rid of it ? To bad . I think its so precious

Last edited:
Quote:
big_smile.png

Awwww you mean you already got rid of it ? To bad . I think its so precious

yeah, it was a hand-me-down and my kids used it for mud pie making 'til they were about five, then i passed it on again. this is why we all need unlimited storage.

Back
Top Bottom