Dust bath

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Karebare, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Karebare

Karebare In the Brooder

May 8, 2017
    I am also a newbie. I have read many ideas about dust baths, but some posts have raised more questions for me. When using sand, some say play sand, all purpose sand and paver sand. Some of those are more course and some are finer. Which is better? Let's talk sulphur instead of DE. What kind of sulphur? Doesn't that smell? Which is better? Thanks to all who can help this newbie!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Got my Puppy

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I personally start a hole in a dry spot and the chickens do the rest. They will find any dry patch of dirt and start rolling. I haven't ever added anything. They like dry donkey poop, and gravel if they can get a hole started in it.

drumstick diva likes this.
  3. Karebare

Karebare In the Brooder

May 8, 2017
    Thank you for your input!

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  4. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi and welcome to BYC. My flock range in the garden, so they choose their spots to dust bathe, so I can't offer any advice on the topic.

5. angie_02

angie_02 Chirping

Jun 2, 2017
    I agree with the previous responses. I'm not sure what the terrain is like where you have your chickens but my coop was placed in the grass and it didn't take long at all for them to dig everything up and make their own dust baths. I don't think you need to add anything, they'll do it themselves and if they need help do what @oldhenlikesdogs suggested and help them get started. :)

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  6. Fareast

Fareast In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2017
    My 3 hens free range and make their own wherever they choose. Favorite current spot is area under wooden swing set platform that had some play sand in it.

7. meetthebubus

meetthebubus Crowing

Mar 28, 2017
    I have a video of how my girls like to bathe, as far as DE or sulphur I believe that would only be nessesary if your having a infestation problem types of dirt can be what you have or just fill dirt
    I talk about some of this in the video

barred2rock likes this.
  8. You can add wood ash to a more organic soil (opposed to a sandy light dirt).

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: