Dust bath

Karebare

In the Brooder
May 8, 2017
I am also a newbie. I have read many ideas about dust baths, but some posts have raised more questions for me. When using sand, some say play sand, all purpose sand and paver sand. Some of those are more course and some are finer. Which is better? Let's talk sulphur instead of DE. What kind of sulphur? Doesn't that smell? Which is better? Thanks to all who can help this newbie!

I personally start a hole in a dry spot and the chickens do the rest. They will find any dry patch of dirt and start rolling. I haven't ever added anything. They like dry donkey poop, and gravel if they can get a hole started in it.

I agree with the previous responses. I'm not sure what the terrain is like where you have your chickens but my coop was placed in the grass and it didn't take long at all for them to dig everything up and make their own dust baths. I don't think you need to add anything, they'll do it themselves and if they need help do what @oldhenlikesdogs suggested and help them get started. :)

I have a video of how my girls like to bathe, as far as DE or sulphur I believe that would only be nessesary if your having a infestation problem types of dirt can be what you have or just fill dirt
I talk about some of this in the video

Hi and welcome to BYC. My flock range in the garden, so they choose their spots to dust bathe, so I can't offer any advice on the topic.

My 3 hens free range and make their own wherever they choose. Favorite current spot is area under wooden swing set platform that had some play sand in it.

Back
Top Bottom