Dust bathing obsessively

Can they not dustbathe in your native soil? Free refills for life!
Ok....so I went out with a shovel and dug up some good ole fashioned dirt. Great advice. Quails dont love it as much as the fine dust...but at least they will live and thats all that matters!

DE prevents pests
Not really...and not great for them to breath, especially in a dust bath where it goes all airborne

Can they not dustbathe in your native soil? Free refills for life!
Exactly!
Ok....so I went out with a shovel and dug up some good ole fashioned dirt. Great advice. Quails dont love it as much as the fine dust...but at least they will live and thats all that matters!
Do your birds not have access to the ground in their run?

Not really...and not great for them to breath, especially in a dust bath where it goes all airborne

Exactly!
Do your birds not have access to the ground in their run?
These are 2 week old babies and the weather has been fluctuation from freezing to hot, so I have a 6 foot by 3 foot indoor habitat for them insude my house with dust baths, hollowed logs, food, water, large flat rocks, twigs, grass, and plants. They probably wont be moved outside as we are coming towards winter.

These are 2 week old babies and the weather has been fluctuation from freezing to hot, so I have a 6 foot by 3 foot indoor habitat for them insude my house with dust baths, hollowed logs, food, water, large flat rocks, twigs, grass, and plants. They probably wont be moved outside as we are coming towards winter.
Ohhhhh..... I must have missed the part about their age.
Do you have other birds outside?
Good to bring some of that soil into brooder to stat acclimating them to the organisms there. I use a chunk of sod in a dish and sprinkle it with chick grit, they'll tear into it and dust in the dirt they break loose.

Back
Top Bottom