dust bathing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by UkuleleLady, Oct 4, 2014.

1. UkuleleLady

UkuleleLady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2014
    Is it normal for a chicken to dustbath for over a half hour? I have fenced off a small portion of the yard so my new chicken could run around a bit while I clean the cage. She has been dustbathing and preening her feathers and doesn't seem interested in treats. Could this mean parasites of some sort? My other chicken does anything to get treats but I guess this one isn't used to treats and she doesn't seem interested in the layer feed that Precious eats. She's not laying yet, should I be feeding her something different? So much to learn!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Mine don't dust bathe that long and would interrupt even a fun in the sand bath for treats. You need to examine her and make sure there is not a problem.

3. UkuleleLady

Jul 1, 2014
    Thank you. I will have to do that. She doesn't like being handled as much as my other chicken does so that's going to be challenging. [​IMG]

4. UkuleleLady

Jul 1, 2014
    I managed to round her up and I managed to examine her pretty well. I didn't see anything but I am new at this so just in case I was missing it I went and dusted her with permethrin garden and poultry dust. I also added some DE to the spot where she likes to dust bathe.

5. bobshere

bobshere Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Mine will go for an hour sometimes.

6. Hilacraft

Hilacraft Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    United States
    Lol, don't worry, mine dust bathe sometimes for an hour or two hours.

7. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    Mine love to dust bathe for at least 40 min. Atleast!

8. Rusty's Ranch

Rusty's Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    Yup ... mine too. Girls time at the "spa". They love it and it's not something they rush [​IMG]

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Evidently other chickens do bathe quite long, glad you examined yours and found she needed nutritional boost!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by