dust baths & heat???

Quote:
I don't know how big your container is, but I understand chickens do not swim. One of my hens fell in the kiddie pool and was able to get out, but I read just after that that their down absorbs the water and they sink!! No one has gone near the pool since this event.

I agree... Chicken hate getting wet for the most part. They like dry much better....

Couldnt resist - this was the scene outside today. my BO mom and her 19 day old babies. mom was throwing dirt everywhere - some chicks are underneath her - they had a ball!

91974_mom_and_chicks_dusting.jpg

My chicks were about a week old when they started dust bathing. When I saw my original chicks do it I thought there was something wrong with them.

just getting started myself. In the info gathering stage and was just talking to my wife's uncle, who has raised many different breeds over the last 50 years as the founder of "The Friendly Farm" (http://www.friendlyfarm.com/). He said he used a 50/50 mixture of wood ash and sand in Kitty Litter Box. the birds seem to love it and the wood ash helped with mites and other parasites. Does anyone else know of this.
smile.png
ep.gif

Quote:
I have never tried it but have heard of it. I have been using Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth for many years. I have had no mites or other parasites.

I went out today and took a medium sized plastic storage container (fits 3 4week olds) and put some dirt from the yard and some Diomatacious (sp?) earth in it and now they are eating it LoL! I had put out a similar sized container of water yesterday and they were not please with me so atleast they are excited about this. Thanks for the help
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom