Dust box dancing!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by fishnet1971, Feb 2, 2012.

1. so, i got out and get a new plastic box thing for the girls so that I can make a 'portable' dust bathing box to put in their coop while the weather is so crappy here. I put the box down, get some nice dirt and sand and stuff and mix it allll up for them. The day was actually nice out and I they got off their little flulffy butts to come outside and see what kind of stuff I was doing. My nosy little nerds. They saw their new dust box and WHAMOOOOOOOOOOO in they went. It was so funny to see all of them trying to cram into the little box.

I put their new toy in the coop three weeks ago. They have not touched it since. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

How cute! They are just so appreciative!!! Just look at them go!! [​IMG] Thanks for sharing.

3. Rileysixchix

Rileysixchix Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a really great idea! My birds are getting bored of the weather too, so i might have to make one of them! what kind of dirt/soil did you use?[​IMG]

4. HiddenHens987

HiddenHens987 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What a neat idea!

6. i mixed a bag od peat, sand, and some top soil together. dried it out and let them have at it. the peat makes a lot of dust though. I threw in some regular outside dirt that had grit and stuff in it as well. they scratch in it, bath in it, get grit etc. when it's to crappy and cold to go outside. I found the container at the hardware store. it's a cement mixing tub. for about $8 i did it all.

I also hung a cabbage from the rafters of their tajmahal as well. shhhhesssss... it lasted about 6 hours. it was so funny watching them play cabbage tether ball....

7. Annie75

Annie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    That's adorable. Typical that the excitement doesn't last long though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by