Dusty White Powder in Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Poachy, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Poachy

Poachy New Egg

Feb 6, 2009
    Central NY
    Hello - I'm new, but have read a lot of posts since getting my chickens 5 months ago.

My question is about cracked corn (and also scatch grains with cracked corn): 2 different bags from 2 different sources have had powdery white spots on the inside of the feed bags. I have asked both sources if this is normal and no one seems to have any idea if it is or not. The spots wipe off and overall I know that cracked corn is dusty. I probably have never noticed this before because I never inspected the stuff I use to feed the wild birds so closely. But, wanting to be safe, I thought I would ask. My concern is that it could be mildew or something like that and all the feeds warn not to feed "spoiled or moldy feed". The corn / scratch itself looks and smells fine, no moisture or clumping.

Has anyone else noticed powdery white spots on the inside of their cracked corn? Is is normal? Should I feed it or return it?

Thanks!

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd put a bit of the feed in a Zip-Lok bag or other clean plastic overnight.
    If you see mold by the next morning, return the feed.

I suspect though, that you're seeing corn starch from the physical manipulation of the equipment and bag.

Is there any bad odor- that would be a dead giveaway.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  3. Poachy

Poachy New Egg

Feb 6, 2009
    Central NY
    Thanks so much for your input. I did put some in a ziplock - it did not grow anything so I started feeding to my hens and they love it and are feeling just fine.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    It is probably an anti caking agent, often used in some feeds in order to have a longer shelf life. if it is not mold just watch it, but I think you may be fine.

AL

5. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    It is DE. They put it in stored grain to help keep bugs from getting into it.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Thats what I meant by anti caking agent, some folks are freaked out by DE, and some really love it. so I chose the low road LOL.

AL

7. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    Sorry....I am direct by nature.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by