Dusty White Powder in Feed

Poachy

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 6, 2009
Central NY
Hello - I'm new, but have read a lot of posts since getting my chickens 5 months ago.

My question is about cracked corn (and also scatch grains with cracked corn): 2 different bags from 2 different sources have had powdery white spots on the inside of the feed bags. I have asked both sources if this is normal and no one seems to have any idea if it is or not. The spots wipe off and overall I know that cracked corn is dusty. I probably have never noticed this before because I never inspected the stuff I use to feed the wild birds so closely. But, wanting to be safe, I thought I would ask. My concern is that it could be mildew or something like that and all the feeds warn not to feed "spoiled or moldy feed". The corn / scratch itself looks and smells fine, no moisture or clumping.

Has anyone else noticed powdery white spots on the inside of their cracked corn? Is is normal? Should I feed it or return it?

Thanks!

I'd put a bit of the feed in a Zip-Lok bag or other clean plastic overnight.
If you see mold by the next morning, return the feed.

I suspect though, that you're seeing corn starch from the physical manipulation of the equipment and bag.

Is there any bad odor- that would be a dead giveaway.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your input. I did put some in a ziplock - it did not grow anything so I started feeding to my hens and they love it and are feeling just fine.

It is probably an anti caking agent, often used in some feeds in order to have a longer shelf life. if it is not mold just watch it, but I think you may be fine.

AL

Quote:
Thats what I meant by anti caking agent, some folks are freaked out by DE, and some really love it. so I chose the low road LOL.

AL

Sorry....I am direct by nature.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom