Moldy Kalmbach

How did this deliberately obscure way of indicating the date get lumbered with Caesar's name? It is not what is recognised as the Julian calendar in astronomical or horological circles.
I know. It is most odd.
I believe it is supposed to be called simply a day of year calendar (often shortened e.g., by NASA to DOY).

I buy Kalmbach and store it in plastic food safe buckets. (1) 50lb bag of feed fits into (2) 5gallon buckets. I like it because I can immediately see what's in the bottom of the bag as it is poured out, and the buckets provide a better long-term seal for the feed.

Just a guess - the wet causing the mold in your bag probably happened at the feed store or in the truck via transport to the feed store. The hot temps in the shed could have accelerated the mold growth, too. 🫤

Purina also uses Julian dates on their feed. You can just guesstimate by multiplying the number of the month by 30, that will be approximately the date at the end of that month.
One store we go to does not always rotate their stock, the freshest was on the top this week. But if they do rotate their stock, as they should, the one you want will be on/near the bottom.
~~~~~~~
My son who works in the packaging industry says a lot of companies use Julian dating, but usually it’s for non-perishable stuff, or products with a long shelf life.

Our feed is in the original bag, on top of a couple of empty bags, in metal garbage cans. They are on top of blocks, on top of rubber stall mats, on the concrete coop floor, inside.
The store in our area that sells that brand has it stored under a roof in a shed, open to the outdoors, wind, rain, whatever. We don't buy it!
The Julian calender is irritating, seems to me it's meant to intentionally obscure the mill date on the feed bag.
Mary

I buy Kalmbach and store it in plastic food safe buckets. (1) 50lb bag of feed fits into (2) 5gallon buckets. I like it because I can immediately see what's in the bottom of the bag as it is poured out, and the buckets provide a better long-term seal for the feed.

Just a guess - the wet causing the mold in your bag probably happened at the feed store or in the truck via transport to the feed store. The hot temps in the shed could have accelerated the mold growth, too. 🫤
I like this idea. I will do this, too. Thanks, kcan2

I also store it in two 5 gallon buckets fitted with Gamma Seal lids. Inside the buckets are kitchen sized trash bags, that I close tightly around however much feed is left.
➡️The other advantage of the 2 bucket system is weight distribution. 50 lbs is too heavy for me to lift. I divide it into the 2 buckets right from my truck (store employee puts bag in truck if my hubby isn’t w me.) I then have only 25 lb loads to carry into my basement where they are stored in a cool dry environment.
IMG_2859.jpeg

I also store it in two 5 gallon buckets fitted with Gamma Seal lids. Inside the buckets are kitchen sized trash bags, that I close tightly around however much feed is left.
➡️The other advantage of the 2 bucket system is weight distribution. 50 lbs is too heavy for me to lift. I divide it into the 2 buckets right from my truck (store employee puts bag in truck if my hubby isn’t w me.) I then have only 25 lb loads to carry into my basement where they are stored in a cool dry environment.
View attachment 3600143
Thank you, Sue. I have a bunch of these that I use for our food storage. I'm not too sure about the trash bag, though. They wouldn't be food safe, I'm thinking

'Food safe' seems to be a moving target, as more yucky stuff is identified leaching out of those plastic containers every year. We can only do our best to pay attention to information as it comes out, and modify our storage in response.
There's always something!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom