Dutch Bantams Breed Thread

Pics
Quote:
We talked about them before. Though it was over a year ago or maybe 2. Their ABA bands, which I see no reason to remove, are '07. I got the CLB Hens from Robert W of Union Grove, NC the Summer of '08. He kept them in small cages in a dark barn. It was the way he did things, but the birds did not do well there. I bought them and brought them to my world of feathers. It took a couple weeks for them to figure out what that dirt floor was. Then several more months for them to calm down and start taming up. They have been freerange birds since and will not tolerate a cage.

TwoTwo is not the best quality, but Amber is what I would call show quality. She has 2 grown daughters running around and 3 of the 7 chicks are from her, but I forgot to mark at hatch and lost track of all but 1. I breed her to my BCLB Roo and know the BCLB chick with one of the cochin broodies is definately from her. These pictures are from 11 days old. Lacy, Birchen Cochin, has 5 dutch and 2 other chicks not pictured. Pockets has 2 dutch and 2 others. The chicks are 3 BCLB and 4 CLB.
click pictures for large version

Matt

Last edited:
Here's a pic of Pokey for scale. I just went back through my posts, and she is 6 weeks old. Too big to be Dutch? I really want her to be Dutch for some reason. rofl. She's sweet either way.
226322_2090493101527_1221217193_2610188_1267241_n.jpg

so these baby dutch, are getting slate coloring, but some were lighter legged and beaked when born, and moters definatly dutch, but daddy looks like migt be dutch x OEGB.. are dutch born dark slate beaked and legged always?

Quote:
Interesting, here is a recent pic of my guy Napoleon and I wonder if he is a Dutch Cockerel. His lobes are minutely white but not pure so that makes me wonder. He was hatched on Easter. He is very tiny and I just love him!

66797_cricket.jpg

66797_round_2_002.jpg

ETA: oh, and what is considered for a color? He's young still and not in full color yet but what might he mature to?

Last edited:
He looks a lot like three cockerels I hatched this spring. Their father is my light brown cock (and my heart, DooRoo) and their mother is my little buff hen Amelia. The babies are not a recognized color, just a cross type, but like your little guy they sure are handsome. And as for personality, Dutchies are by far my fav breed. Not even my silkies can compete in terms of personability. My OEGB pair come close, but the Dutchies still edge them out. I have two self blue Dutchie hens that I swear think they are people in feathers, and DooRoo is just flat out spoiled rotten! If I could only have one breed of chickens, it would be Dutchies.

Quote:
No
wink.png

Why are some breeds in duckwing autosexing and some are not? I have silver duckwing and gold duckwing OEGBs and they are autosexing.

Back
Top Bottom