Dutch Bantams Breed Thread

Pics
Can someone tell me if black Dutch Bantams have white ear lobes? I know I read that all Dutch Banties have white but I have a few that I bought from a breeder and he is very knowledgeable but all of mine have black ears...I didnt know if the blacks were different or if I have a different breed than I think??

Can someone tell me if black Dutch Bantams have white ear lobes? I know I read that all Dutch Banties have white but I have a few that I bought from a breeder and he is very knowledgeable but all of mine have black ears...I didnt know if the blacks were different or if I have a different breed than I think??
Matt is right, purebred Dutch should have white ear lobes.

Who was the breeder you bought them from?

I have a female Dutch banty she has finally hatched a new clutch with out Millie flur roo 7 baby chicks. With our recent attack where here entire previous family was wiped out but her i was wondering should I just let her raise these little peepers rather then bring them into my baby coop like I normally would? She's a little skittish always has been so I know the babies may end up grow up to be the same way. Do I take that chance?

I have a female Dutch banty she has finally hatched a new clutch with out Millie flur roo 7 baby chicks. With our recent attack where here entire previous family was wiped out but her i was wondering should I just let her raise these little peepers rather then bring them into my baby coop like I normally would? She's a little skittish always has been so I know the babies may end up grow up to be the same way. Do I take that chance?

It depends on where you got them from. If you got purebred Mille Fleur Dutch Bantams from a breeder, then I would take them away from the mother and raise them in a brooder.

If you got them from hatchery stock (which are crossed with Old English Game birds), then you can likely let the mother rear them. No hatcheries have purebred Mille Fleur, only one breeder I know of does, and she hasn't sold a lot of those, so I think it's probable yours are hatchery stock.

Purebred Dutch are not the best mothers (sadly), so taking away chicks from them is generally best. But OEGs are generally good mothers, so you could let one of those birds raise her chicks.

That being said, anytime a mother rears chicks the resulting offspring are more flighty than those that are reared in a brooder with more human interaction.

Hope this helps.

Laura

Back
Top Bottom