Dutch Bantams Breed Thread

Pics
Do these blacks look dutch oullet and Cockrell

They look like they could be hatchery-quality Black Dutch Bantams (which are usually mixes). No Black Dutch Bantams in the United States are actually true Dutch Bantams, however, since Blacks were never imported. All Black Dutch Bantams are crosses of other bantams such as Old English Game.

Black Dutch Bantam cockerel AND Black Dutch Bantam pullet (her white ear lobes do not show up very well, but she is DUTCH. Most US Black Dutch were "made" from OEGB, poor shank and toe color and ear lobes often show red, no great saddle length. Those made with Black Rosecombs, also, do not have he Dutch saddle feather length-- have very large white ear lobes--NOT DUTCH, and not pointed ends of sickles and lesser, were developed from crossbreds as "dutch". However, enjoy them, but do not expect to raise DUTCH. (note the greenish sheen on plumage, no purple. not dull black.) Correct true Dutch in Black are not easy to find in Holland, UK, best are in Germany, but difficult to find there, also. Hatcheries have turned out many in the US. Too bad to call them DUTCH--just lovely Black Banties and dear bantam pets!

Last edited:

Hello! I got some Serama eggs from a local breeder, but I'm suspicious... They look an awful lot like the Dutch bantam pictures I've seen.

Here they are right after hatch, and next to my white Singleton Serama for comparison.

Hello! I got some Serama eggs from a local breeder, but I'm suspicious... They look an awful lot like the Dutch bantam pictures I've seen.

Here they are right after hatch, and next to my white Singleton Serama for comparison.

To me, these look more like Old English Game Bantams than Dutch Bantams, since Dutch Bantams should have blue slate legs.

Did the breeder have Seramas for you to see? These are not Dutch chicks. Does the breeder raise Dutch, Old English Game Bantam--others? OR does the breeder cross breed the varieties? BAD THING. TO DO. Purchasing eggs is always a risk. Can be all cockerels, varieties mixed, without records of parent birds of EACH EGG, you will not be assured of decent representatives of any breed. Go on line, search for Serama sites and you may see chick pictures.
When the tails begin to grow, you will easily see Serama, if indeed they are Ss? Legs do not look short enough for good Seramas. However, you will have some lovely bantam pets, regardless of breed, so enjoy them, raise them well and maybe let us know what they look like in a couple of months. Good luck,,,,,,.

Last edited:
Did the breeder have Seramas for you to see?   These are not Dutch chicks.   Does the breeder raise Dutch, Old English Game Bantam--others?   OR does the breeder cross breed the varieties?  BAD THING. TO DO.  Purchasing eggs is always a risk.  Can be all cockerels, varieties mixed, without records of parent birds of EACH EGG, you will not be assured of decent representatives of any breed.  Go on line, search for Serama sites and you may see chick pictures.
When the tails begin to grow, you will easily see Serama, if indeed they are Ss?   Legs do not look short enough for good Seramas.  However, you will have some lovely bantam pets, regardless of breed, so enjoy them, raise them well and maybe let us know what they look like in a couple of months.  Good luck,,,,,,.

The whole experience with them was a bizarre long story. They have a website with pictures of what I'm assuming are the parents. The only bantams they sell are Silkies and Seramas. They're actually a licensed "hatchery that specialize in a few". We picked them up at their residence, which is where they run their business from. It was the only place I could find Seramas within a reasonable distance and after having terrible hatch rates with shipped eggs, I wanted something local. I had a single Serama hatch from shipped eggs, and needed to get him bantam friends, so I'm not too hung up on it; more curious than anything. The singleton looks obviously like a Serama, so when these hatched, I was unsure.

To me, these look more like Old English Game Bantams than Dutch Bantams, since Dutch Bantams should have blue slate legs.

Newborn Dutch chicks can have another color legs. The blue color appears when they get older.
My black chicks had very dark legs at first and the pyle were born with yellow legs.

Back
Top Bottom