Dutch Bantams Breed Thread

Pics
Today, I emailed MyPetChicken(A hatchery that sells sexed bantams) about Dutch Bantam Chicks. They currently do not have them, but they responded saying that if they got enough requests, they would get them! For all of you who love dutch, please send them a quick email. Thanks!

Use this email: [email protected]

Bantam breeds are rarely "sexed", as they are too small and not only easily harmed by vent sexing, as large fowl are, but could never be guaranteed successful. That is why Hatcheries do not offer them, and the bantams they sell as dutch, are rarely from their own breeding. They purchase hatching eggs, from breeders who want to make a little "feed" income. And they do not really know what is in those eggs--and cannot tell when they hatch--MUST mail them out ar hatch or they have to destroy them. So I would never want hatchery "dutch". And most dedicated breeders do not sell eggs (for the same reason--you do not know how they will grow up.) Nor do they sell chicks, Ch X Ch parents do not produce "show quality" chicks reliably. They are selected as Show Quality, at 4-5 months of age, and then cannot be guaranteed to be SHOW WINNERS, just lovely birds that you would be pleased to show.

A "dutch-cross" is not a DUTCH. White ear lobes and blue legs do not make a DUTCH. Other breeds also have them. However, saying all that, even the dutch that are "backyard banties" in type and color are lovely pets!!!!!. Breeding potential Show DUTCH is the only way to pay for the feed, and the best young birds are only sold to those who will seriously keep records, so great birds pedigrees are not LOST. There have been few true DUTCH imported from Holland, bloodlines of the best are limited, and it is sad to lose many of the best DUTCH to folks who are not willing to keep and learn about them. (I know, it sounds haughty.). Other breeds that have MANY breeders, such as OEGB, Cochins, Belgian d'Uccles and d'Anvers are available in larger numbers and closer to the Standard type that is required for Show birds. Dutch are not a rare breed, but neither are they available in large numbers and not at all in some varieties advertised (but NOT DUTCH) True Dutch varieties are limited.

Because I can not easily get to Shows any longer, I have not been able to take my birds to Shows very often. That does not keep me from breeding the best that I can--for others to raise and show--and thus my birds have been valuable. (No, none available, )and will be hatching a few==to order, as I cannot keep large numbers, nor do I want to, as I like to hen-hatch, handle the chicks so that they are tame and gentle. and love to meet the folks who come to get them when ready to go. (7 breeding birds, 3 varieties, go this week.) I will miss them, but will hatch a few more later. WINTER was not a nice one, and green grass, as it dries, is inviting to get the birds into some outside pens!

I like to see 4Hers have GOOD birds, as they learn to take good care of them, prepare them well for show. Several went (at low cost, to 4H brother and sister--with bantam showing experience) and if they are in best plumage, should do well at the State Fair in August. Last several years, Dutch of 4Hers have been BEST BANTAM in show and also BEST IN SHOW. That is reward for me, as a breeder of DUTCH.

Just out of curiousity...These birds are supposed to be Dutch..only the hen has white lobes-- all 3 have slate legs--I know that this doesnt mean that htey are purebred....I am wondering if anyone here can tell me if they think they are even a cross, remotely close to a Dutch..etc.. They are just backyard birds, have no intention on breeding or selling babies... My hen actually bonded with a lil reg game type banty..I do plan on penning her with one of the black roos to get some 'pure' eggs..These guys are SUPER sweet...very friendly--the roos actually make my Silkie roos look mean if that tells you anything. And they are tiny--lay a much smaller egg than my Silkies and are maybe half to 3/4 the size of my Silkies..Just a guess but I would say the roos are 3# max and the hen 2.5#

Any help on what they are would be greatly appreciated..I also have a post in the Breed ID forums, just figured that since they were supposed to be Dutch, you guys may have a better idea..

Here are pics of them from a chick to now:

As a chick

Around 4-5 months

approx 4-5 months

The roos now

Another of the roos

The hen

Another of the hen (and her mutt roo)

The legs--his comb got a lil frostbite this winter
sad.png

A couple more of my hen--just becasue she is a sweetheart..she seriously thinks she should ride around on my arm and then roost on my shoulders

Bantam breeds are rarely "sexed", as they are too small and not only easily harmed by vent sexing, as large fowl are, but could never be guaranteed successful. That is why Hatcheries do not offer them, and the bantams they sell as dutch, are rarely from their own breeding. They purchase hatching eggs, from breeders who want to make a little "feed" income. And they do not really know what is in those eggs--and cannot tell when they hatch--MUST mail them out ar hatch or they have to destroy them. So I would never want hatchery "dutch". And most dedicated breeders do not sell eggs (for the same reason--you do not know how they will grow up.) Nor do they sell chicks, Ch X Ch parents do not produce "show quality" chicks reliably. They are selected as Show Quality, at 4-5 months of age, and then cannot be guaranteed to be SHOW WINNERS, just lovely birds that you would be pleased to show.

A "dutch-cross" is not a DUTCH. White ear lobes and blue legs do not make a DUTCH. Other breeds also have them. However, saying all that, even the dutch that are "backyard banties" in type and color are lovely pets!!!!!. Breeding potential Show DUTCH is the only way to pay for the feed, and the best young birds are only sold to those who will seriously keep records, so great birds pedigrees are not LOST. There have been few true DUTCH imported from Holland, bloodlines of the best are limited, and it is sad to lose many of the best DUTCH to folks who are not willing to keep and learn about them. (I know, it sounds haughty.). Other breeds that have MANY breeders, such as OEGB, Cochins, Belgian d'Uccles and d'Anvers are available in larger numbers and closer to the Standard type that is required for Show birds. Dutch are not a rare breed, but neither are they available in large numbers and not at all in some varieties advertised (but NOT DUTCH) True Dutch varieties are limited.

Because I can not easily get to Shows any longer, I have not been able to take my birds to Shows very often. That does not keep me from breeding the best that I can--for others to raise and show--and thus my birds have been valuable. (No, none available, )and will be hatching a few==to order, as I cannot keep large numbers, nor do I want to, as I like to hen-hatch, handle the chicks so that they are tame and gentle. and love to meet the folks who come to get them when ready to go. (7 breeding birds, 3 varieties, go this week.) I will miss them, but will hatch a few more later. WINTER was not a nice one, and green grass, as it dries, is inviting to get the birds into some outside pens!

I like to see 4Hers have GOOD birds, as they learn to take good care of them, prepare them well for show. Several went (at low cost, to 4H brother and sister--with bantam showing experience) and if they are in best plumage, should do well at the State Fair in August. Last several years, Dutch of 4Hers have been BEST BANTAM in show and also BEST IN SHOW. That is reward for me, as a breeder of DUTCH.
Do you know where to get quality Dutch on the east coast? I would even be happy with eggs.. These guys were going to be my daughter 4H project, but since I am not sure on the breed we changed that plan and now she has RIR that she will show this year..However I would LOVE to get a few true Dutch chicks or eggs so that she could have a few to show next year..What ever she shows has to be available for sale, so we would have to have at least a trio for show and preferably at least one breeding pair to get next years show birds---2 hens and a roo would be even better..I bred and showed horses for years..I know that is not the same as shickens, but once I take something on, I like to do it well..lol..Oh I am in WV in case that doesnt show in my profile info

Last edited:
There are a number of breeders of Dutch Bantams all up and down the East Coast. The Dutch Bantam Society Eastern District Director, may be able to recommend someone who has Dutch that would be suitable. Sending a Private message, if I can, with name and phone. He is in PA.

(Are those your Black Bantams--they are not Dutch!)

Last edited:
There are a number of breeders of Dutch Bantams all up and down the East Coast. The Dutch Bantam Society Eastern District Director, may be able to recommend someone who has Dutch that would be suitable. Sending a Private message, if I can, with name and phone. He is in PA.

(Are those your Black Bantams--they are not Dutch!)
Yeah those are my "Black Backyard Banties"...lol.. I showed their pics to a breeder when they were much younger and found out that they were not Dutch--I still love them, they have great personalities, are very small and are well mannered lil birds--unfortunately the hen bonded with the red mutt roo in the background of her pics, but I am going to break both of their hearts here shortly and pen her with one of the black roos in order to get a few of their eggs for the bator--I have a few of hers and the red roos in the bator now(today is day 21) --Im sure that the chicks will be cute but I want more of the solid blacks..

I did get your PM and messaged you back--thank you so very much for that..I am going to call first thing in the morning.. I dont care if it is eggs, chicks or adult birds--I would just be happy with quality birds
love.gif

Happy Mothers Day!!! No matter if your kids are 2 or 4 legged, covered in skin , fur or feathers....a mom is a mom!!!!

Back
Top Bottom