Dutch Bantams Breed Thread

Pics
Hi, I've had this roo since last June and still am not sure what breed he best matches. I want to get him some ladies more his color and size(all his ladies now are LF). He is right at 1 1/2lbs. I saw blue splash Dutch bantam in a hatchery catalog. Do you think that would be a good breeding for this roo?

Any breed suggestions to pair him with would be appreciated. Thanks

Splash Japanese Bantam. Most just call them Japs.

Matt

Well I was thinking that the splash Dutch bantam hens ( Privett has them)would go nicely with him. I haven't seen the Jap in splash for sale. Do you know of a hatchery that offers splash Japs?

Well I was thinking that the splash Dutch bantam hens ( Privett has them)would go nicely with him. I haven't seen the Jap in splash for sale. Do you know of a hatchery that offers splash Japs?

In most cases you don't want to breed splash to splash. Future generations will be bleached out. Breed a splash with a blue and you will get 50% blue and 50% splash. Breed a splash to a black and you get 100% blue chicks.

Normally I would recommend finding a breeder, but if all you want is pretty pets then a hatchery would be fine. I have hatchery pets running around here.

Yes pet, garden roamers is all I'm after. He has a DuUclle and a small cochin girl her prefers over the LF ladies. I just want hens he isn't so outsized by and are similar to his type and color. Surprisingly I have hatched his offspring from a barred rock. But thats a bit to much of a mutt for me. Im sure he is a mix and isn't quite right for any bantam breed but the Dutch seems close.

There is nothing Dutch about the dear little Splash rooster, except that he is small..... He looks like a Jap or even a Serama cross. For pretty backyard roamers, a Japanese hen would cross very well and give lovely offspring. Black tailed White would be a good variety to use with him.
Good luck

There is nothing Dutch about the dear little Splash rooster, except that he is small.....   He looks like a Jap or even a Serama cross.    For pretty backyard roamers, a Japanese hen would cross very well and give lovely offspring.   Black tailed White  would be a good variety to use with him.
Good luck

Thank you, I will look for some japs then. I also have two of his daughters from my DuUclle hen that are quite pretty. Blue mille fluer with his body type.

Hi, I've had this roo since last June and still am not sure what breed he best matches. I want to get him some ladies more his color and size(all his ladies now are LF). He is right at 1 1/2lbs. I saw blue splash Dutch bantam in a hatchery catalog. Do you think that would be a good breeding for this roo?

Any breed suggestions to pair him with would be appreciated. Thanks
He doesn't look like a Dutch Bantam (wrong earlobe color, type, and leg color). If I had to guess, I would say he is some sort of Japanese Bantam, but I'm not sure if they come in his variety (Splash?).

He doesn't look like a Dutch Bantam (wrong earlobe color, type, and leg color). If I had to guess, I would say he is some sort of Japanese Bantam, but I'm not sure if they come in
his variety (Splash?).

It is mostly his color and size I want to match. I have not seen japs in splash. So I think I will get two splash Dutch, two japs, and add in some of the bantams I already have. 1duuclle, 1mutt, and 2 class b serama.

Back
Top Bottom