Dutiful introduction from Indiana

kestrel1027

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
Good Morning everyone,
I have eavesdropped on BYC for years and thank you all for the virtual avalanche of information, comradere and helpful advice. Sending greetings from east central Indiana.

I have had city chickens as a child and now I am in a place where I can indulge in a whole flock. I decided to get chickens again after I realized my little boy was growing up so fast without knowing the experience of fluffy little peeps, warm eggs, morning crows, fresh straw and gentle chicken coos when bedding down for the night. So believing in "no time like the present" we started with a small mixed flock of peeps from rural king. Five years later the flock is now at 15 what with adding a couple here and there most Easters.

While those first chicks were still fledging indoors we built a lovely little cedar house and coop as a Mother and son project. We were homeschooling at the time and I cannot tell you how the great chicken experiment aided us in so many subjects!

We had great success with our hens and have had only two casualties, one to egg binding and one to a coon while we were on vacation. ( I think our pet sitter forgot to lock them up properly) We have tried many different breeds, wanting multicolored eggs as a primary goal. Well, actually, I should say secondary goal since we truly got them as pets first and foremost. So far we find that our favorites are the fluffy cochins and the gorgeous sleek little hamburgs.

The cochins have become favorites since they are SOOO calm, like stuffed animals with feathers. We do civil war reenacting as well and often bring along three of our calmest to add to the atmosphere. They are always a huge hit and allow even the most tiny little children to hold and cuddle them. ...now if we can keep them from sneaking in the pup tents and laying eggs on the soldier's pillows.... The guys love having them around too though, and they make many a great line, chasing them around for "supper" or pretending to take them to barter at the market.

Well I suppose that is more than enough for my little schpeel, Thanks again everyone.

kestrel1027

Last edited:
Big
welcome-byc.gif
from Louisiana!

welcome-byc.gif
from Kansas, kestrel1027! Great to have you on board.
celebrate.gif
Kestrels are my favorite raptor! Love how you are letting your little boy have the chicken experience. That is really admirable!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom